An imminent threat of violence may be cause for a lockdown of all or part of campus. Some exterior doors will lock automatically. Emergency responders will lock others manually. The goal is to limit exposure of students, faculty and staff to danger by preventing dangerous persons from entering campus buildings. If a lockdown is ordered:
- Stay Inside! Do not leave the building unless an imminently dangerous situation arises inside. If outside, seek shelter in the nearest building.
- Take shelter in a lockable room if possible.
- Close windows, shades and blinds, and avoid being seen from outside the room if possible.
- Monitor Nova Alert and email for updates and further instructions. A description of the actor will be disseminated as soon as possible using these methods.
- Report any emergency or unusual condition to Public Safety.
- Use discretion in admitting anyone into a secure building. Require that all backpacks and other bags be left outside at least 30 feet from the building. Require that the person seeking shelter open all outer garments for visual inspection before allowing entry.
- Once in a secure location, do not leave until receiving the “all clear” from a police officer, Public Safety officer, Nova Alert, email or website communication.