- "Friendly Advice for Teaching Online," video of Villanova faculty who share recommendations for teaching online.
- "Promoting Social Presence in Online Courses," video of Villanova faculty sharing best practices for enhancing online social presence.
- Youth and Identity: Strengths and Struggles, First-gen Students Persist," a podcast episode of Research that Resonates at Villanova University's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Taking Your Course Online
(Instructional lectures by Dr. Stefan Perun, Assistant Professor of Public Administration and Dr. Gabriele Bauer, Director of VITAL)
- "How Students Learn." Dr. Perun discusses what we know about how students learn and implications for course development.
- "Working with the Online Student: Student Expectations & the Online Learning Environment." Dr. Bauer highlights expectations of online learners given the characteristics of the online learning environment.
- "Applying the Flipped Classroom Model to Online Learning." Dr. Bauer talks about the flipped learning model as a way of thinking about sequencing online learning activities.
- "Promoting Meaningful Engagement in Synchronous Sessions." Dr. Perun discusses opportunities and challenges for facilitating live class sessions.
- "Promoting Meaningful Engagement in an Asynchronous Setting." Dr. Perun discusses how to promote meaningful engagement with discussion boards in an asynchronous setting.
- "Rubrics: Tools for Learning, Teaching & Assessment." Dr. Bauer outlines the process of rubric creation and implementation and shares sample rubrics.
- "Grading Synchronous Discussions & Discussion Boards." Dr. Perun discusses giving feedback and grading discussion boards and live class sessions.
Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Helping Students Understand How the Research on Learning Supports a Learner Centered Approach to Teaching(5/16/18; VU login required)
Dr. Terry Doyle, Author, Professor Emeritus, Ferris State University
Helping students learn in a learner-centered environment (2008) and
Learner-centered teaching: Putting the research on learning into practice (2012)
- What We Know About Excellence in Online Teaching (5/14/19)
Lawrence Ragan, Co-Director, Center for Online Innovation in Learning and Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning, Penn State
- Panel Discussion Recording: Supporting Students Facing Mental Health Challenges (5/15/19)
Panelists: Patricia K. Bradley, Associate Professor, M. Louise Fitzpatrick College of Nursing; Nancy Mott, Director, Office of Learning Support Services; Joan Whitney, Associate Vice President and Executive Director, University Counseling Center.
Moderator: Matthew Kerbel, Interim Associate Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning
Magna Online Seminar
(need to enter university credentials to view)
- Student Entitlement: Truth, Fiction, or Some of Both?
- Six Practical Strategies to Improve Your Online Courses
- Evidence-Based Teaching in Higher Education: Strategies to Improve Student Learning
- How Can I Assess Critical Thinking with Student-Created Work?
- Building a Tougher Student: Applying the Research on Intellectual Development (password: tougher81)
- Incorporating 360-Degree Assessment Into Your Classroom (password: assessment18)
- Creating and Maintaining a Robust Faculty Mentoring Program (password: mentoring115)