Boren Awards provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad.
- Maximum award amounts
- $8,000 for a summer program (special initiative for STEM students only; 8 weeks minimum)
- $10,000 for a semester
- $20,000 for a full academic year
- Deadline: Early-Mid February
- Up to $24,000 for overseas study
- Length of study
- 12 weeks minimum
- 24 months maximum
- Deadline: Late January
Boren Application Instructions
To apply for the Boren Award, please complete the following steps:
- Meet with CRF (sign up using Handshake) before November 28, 2018.
- Friday, November 30, 2018: Intent to Apply deadline for Scholarship and Fellowship
Applicants will submit their Intent to Apply through the Blackboard site here.
- December 3-7: CRF Consultations
Applicants meet with CRF to discuss logistics. Applicants will use the winter break to prepare essay drafts with the CRF team’s assistance.
- Tuesday January 15, 2019: Deadline for highly polished draft.
Applicants will provide highly polished drafts of required essays for review. Failure to do so means that CRF may not be able to endorse your application.
- Step 5: January 21-25: CRF Consultations
Applicants meet with CRF to review and refine applications.
- Step 6: Application Submission
- Thursday January 31: Fellowship Deadline
- Thursday February 7: Scholarship Deadline
Applicants are highly encouraged to schedule appointments with CRF throughout the application period.