Update as of August 19, 2020
At this time the status of Spring 2021 study abroad opportunities is still not clear. The Office of Education Abroad is carefully monitoring the state of international programming and opportunities to travel for our students in the upcoming spring semester.
We remain cautiously optimistic that some spring study abroad programming will be able to be offered. However, there are many factors and resources that will go in to deciding whether or not spring study abroad will be possible. The primary resources to which we refer during this assessment include the US State Department guidance, CDC directives, and travel recommendations from our medical and security provider, International SOS. The US State Department and CDC both recently reduced their posted ‘Worldwide Cautions’ which previously prohibited travel for US Citizens everywhere in the world. At this time, both organizations have returned to rating each country on an individual basis. According to Villanova University policy, students are not permitted to travel to locations ranked Level 3 or 4 by the US State Department, or Level 2 or 3 by the CDC.
In addition to using these sources, we are regularly evaluating foreign government border restrictions,mandatory in-country quarantines, visa processing limitations and flight availability, which add to the increased complexity of sending students out of the United States.
Given the ever changing situation, we aim to have a formal University decision by mid-October as to the viability of Spring 2021 study abroad options for our students. If you decide to defer to a future semester, please notify your OEA adviser of your plans and/or set up an appointment via Handshake to discuss your options with them.
If you have applied for participation in a non-Villanova coordinated partner program or University abroad, we encourage you to be in contact with your program to understand any changes that may have been implemented for the spring semester. Villanova-coordinated programs will issue our own updated plans in the coming weeks.