Veterans Information

Villanova University is honored to support the outstanding individuals who are serving or who have served in the U.S. Military while pursuing higher education. We are committed to helping those service members achieve their educational goals. At Villanova University, we offer both active military and veterans the opportunity to continue their education on-line or on-campus in over 20 different non-credit certificate programs. These programs are designed for the working military professional who wishes to gain added skills for both military and post military employment.

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) determines the eligibility to receive educational assistance benefits for students. For information on Veterans' Certification, please check the information on the Registrar's site.

Visit the GI Bill® website for additional resources and information.

Veterans' Certification

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For more information about VA educational benefits please visit the official Veteran Affairs website at

The VA determines student eligibility to receive educational benefits.  Students must apply for benefits with the VA before their eligibility can be determined.

Certification depends upon your VA determined eligibility, enrollment status and program of study.  Veteran certifications are processed at Villanova within the Office of the Registrar by one of our two School Certifying Officials (SCO).  SCO contact information is provided below.  Please notify the proper certifying official of any enrollment changes.

To check on the status of your application, remaining entitlement, or any other general questions, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs educational hotline: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or submit a question electronically through Ask a QuestionVillanova SCOs cannot provide advisement or counseling related to Veteran benefits. 

Villanova University participates in the Post 9/11 GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon program. 

Applying for VA Benefits

Students applying for VA benefits for the first time at Villanova University, will fall into one of two categories:

    A) Initiating VA benefits for the first time  OR
    B) Resuming VA Benefits.  

The procedures to apply for these benefits can be found on the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) portal.  

Initiating VA benefits for the first time

Villanova University students who are eligible for, but never utilized their educational benefit before should submit an application for their benefit utilizing or eBenefits

  • Veterans
    VA Form 22-1990:  Application for VA Education Benefits (Post 9/11, MGIB, etc.)
  • Survivors and Dependents of Veterans
    VA Form 22-5490: Application for Chapter 35 or Fry Scholarship  
  • Students approved for Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB)
    under the post 9/11-GI Bill
    VA Form 22-1990e

Resuming VA benefits

Villanova University students that have previously used their benefit at another institution and would like to begin utilizing it here, should submit one of the following forms electronically utilizing or eBenefits.     

  • All GI Bill® recipents, excluding Chapter 35 and Fry Scholarship, should use the form listed below
    VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training
  • Students utilizing Chapter 35 or the Fry Scholarship benefits should use the form listed below
    VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training

Villanova University Students who are currently using their benefit here and would like to continue should submit their VA Enrollment Verification form. (see the Request Veteran Certification page).

Villanova SCO Contact Information

Non-Credit students: please contact the College of Professional Studies at 610-519-4310 or (please indicate Veteran’s Affairs Certifying Official in subject line).

All other degree seeking students (Associate, Bachelor, Master, Law & Tax, PhD, etc.): Call 610-519-4034 or email

Getting started:
Once you have completed the application process you will need to submit the following documentation to Villanova's Certifying Official. 

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE): This letter is sent to the beneficiary from the VA stating which VA Educational benefit they are entitled to.  (If you are utilizing the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit this information can also be found on your eBenefits account)
  • VA Enrollment Verification Form: Submit this form every term/session you enroll in classes and would like to utilize yoru benefit. (see Request Veteran Certification)
These forms can be uploaded and submitted along with your VA Enrollment Verification form @ Request Veteran Certification