Student volunteers may complete the following background checks on their own or meet with their Program Director to complete. As of July 25, 2015 both the Pennsylvania State Police Access to Criminal History (PATCH) and the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance are free to obtain for all volunteers. Please note: A volunteer can only receive background certifications free of charge once every 57 months.
Pennsylvania State Police Access to Criminal History (PATCH) (https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp). You will be required to submit your social security number.
- Click on the New Record Check (Volunteers Only) button on the main logon page to run your free volunteer check.
- Read the online instructions carefully, then mark and accept the Volunteer Acknowledgement Section.
- Complete the information on the Personal Information screen and click Next.
- Please make sure that once you have completed the criminal background check that you print the certification form with the logo in the background. Click here for an example of the PA State Police Response for Criminal Record Check.
- Double click on the control number.
- Double click on the blue hyper link “Certification Form” near the center of the page.
- If the request returns a response of Record, you will not be able to print a certification form. A record response will be mailed to the address provided.
- If you are unable to print the results at this time you will need to document the Control Number, your name as it appears on the request, and the date of the request. This information is necessary in order to retrieve your record check at a later date for printing.
- Please upload a copy of the clearance results to your Novasis account for further review. See Uploading Clearance Results for additional instructions.
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance (http://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home)
- Please make sure that you know where you have resided and whom you have resided with since 1975. You will need this information to complete the on-line form.
- Please also note that once you go into the site, it will ask you for a Keystone ID. You will need to create this login. It will later ask you to create a password, among a series of security questions.
- Click on Create Clearance Application.
- This clearance is free for volunteers starting on July 25, 2015. Please make sure you select VOLUNTEER as the purpose for the application.
- This site will send results electronically to the email address you have provided. You can request a paper copy sent to your home address.
- Click here for an example of the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance.
- Print the results once they are available and upload a copy to your Novasis account for further review. See Uploading Clearance Results for additional instructions.
FBI Fingerprinting (https://uenroll.identogo.com) (Updated 12/13/2017)
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has recently changed to a new electronic fingerprinting vendor, IDEMIA, for FBI fingerprint checks. IDEMIA began processing FBI fingerprint checks on November 28, 2017
IDEMIA operates IdentoGO centers, where live scan fingerprinting services are available. At this time, Public Safety is no longer able to provide FBI fingerprint services due to the change in vendors.
We have received limited information regarding the FBI Fingerprint process. Below is the information that is available from the IdentoGO website. Please check back frequently as this webpage will be updated as more information becomes available.
- The registration process is completed online at https://uenroll.identogo.com. To begin the process you will need to enter a Service Code. This code ensures that you are processed for the correct purpose.
- Student groups that will volunteer in school districts must register for their fingerprints through the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE). The Service Code for PDE volunteers is 1KG6Y3. PDE will mail each volunteer unofficial results of their fingerprints.
- Student groups that do not work in a school district will register under the Department of Human Services (DHS). The Service Code for DHS volunteers is 1KG6ZJ. Registrants will receive their results in the mail.
- You must select an IdentoGO location where you will go and be fingerprinted. You may also set up an appointment time for fingerprinting. Currently, the closest location to Villanova University is:
1 Bala Ave., Ste. 420
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-3207
NOTE: IdentoGO is continuing to open new centers. Two additional locations coming soon are in closer proximity to Villanova; one in Bryn Mawr, PA (scheduled to open on December 13, 2017) and one in Haverford, PA (opening date unknown). We will provide the exact addresses once they becomes available.
Once the registration is complete you will receive a confirmation email.
- On the day and time of your appointment, take the confirmation email along with the preferred method of identification you selected during the registration process to the IdentoGO site. Payment is required at the time of fingerprinting and must be made by credit card, money order or cashier’s check, no cash or personal check payments are accepted.
- If registering with the Service Code for DHS Volunteer, the results of the FBI fingerprints will be mailed to the address provided during registration.
- If registering with the Service Code for PDE Volunteer, the unofficial results will be emailed to you.
- Once the results are obtained, upload a copy (unofficial results for PDE) to your Novasis account for further review and keep the original. See section on Uploading Clearance Results for additional instructions. Please do not upload a copy of your FBI confirmation email.