Thank you for your interest in admission to the Doctor of Nurse Practice Nurse Anesthesia Program. You may want to consider making an appointment to discuss your unique situation, qualifications and goals; or receive information about course requirements and tuition. Contact us to schedule an appointment so you can get started. You’ll also want to review the following information:
To be eligible for admission to the DNP Nurse Anesthesia Program, potential candidates must submit evidence of:
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE accredited program or its equivalent.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Minimum of one year (full-time) of recent (within 5 years) critical care experience
- All non-native English speakers are required to submit either official TOEFL or IELTS results. TOEFL: Applicants must score a minimum of 83 (with 25 in speaking) on the iBT (internet-based test) in order to be considered for admission. IELTS: Applicants must score at least 6.5 overall (7 in speaking band) in order to be considered for admission. When you register for the TOEFL or IELTS, please request that your results be sent directly to Villanova - our institutional code is 2959.
- Satisfactory completion of a statistics course, which includes both descriptive and inferential statistics
- Satisfactory academic record.
- ACLS Certification.
- CCRN Preferred.
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse (USA)
Requirements for Graduate Admission
- Completed Online Application for Admission
- Personal Goal Statement: An essay identifying career goals and conceptualization of the nurse anesthetist role that is congruent with the objectives of the program, and demonstrates professional communication and writing skills.
- Application fee.
- Satisfactory performance on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or MAT is required for Nurse Anesthesia Program for applicants who earned a cumulative BSN grade point average (GPA) of less than 3.4 on a 4.0 scale. The GRE or MAT requirement is waived for applicants who earned a cumulative BSN (GPA) of 3.4 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
- TOEFL or IELTS* (non-native English speakers)
- Transcripts from all schools attended
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from clinical or academic professionals who are in a position to judge your performance/professional skills. One of these letters MUST be from a direct supervisor.
- Copy of current RN license
- Admission interview
- Upon acceptance, a comprehensive criminal background check through Complio (Villanova's online compliance tracking service) is required.
International Students Admission
Get International Students Admission details here.
Transfer of Credit
A maximum of six graduate credits may be transferred, including credits earned in other colleges or schools of Villanova University. If transfer credit is requested in lieu of required courses in the program, a course syllabus and transcript must accompany the request.
All requests for transfer must be submitted in writing to the Program Director after admission to the program. Only courses taken prior to acceptance into the Graduate Nursing Program may be transferred.
Those applicants who have already earned an MSN and wish to become a nurse anesthetist will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for course and / or credit transfer.
- To apply to the DNP Nurse Anesthesia Program, please complete the College of Nursing Graduate Program Online Application for DNP Nurse Anesthesia Program.
- The application process is based on rolling admissions so that applications are reviewed as they are completed and then qualified applicants are invited to interview. Interviews are completed several times per year, so your interview may be scheduled soon after your application is complete, or several months after your application is complete.
- Completed applications should be submitted after one year of full time employment in an ICU is completed. Applicants are encouraged to complete the application process in a timely fashion to be considered for an interview. When a class fills, applicants are then interviewed for the following admission year and are placed on a waiting list. Applications are currently being accepted for the first DNP Cohort in January 2019 (pending Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Program’s approval of the DNP application).
- Your application will be reviewed the Admissions Committee.
- After your application is reviewed, you will be notified, in writing, if you have been selected to interview.
- After a personal interview and detailed review of the nurse anesthesia program provided at the time of the interview, you will be notified in writing if you are selected to attend the CCMC / VU DNP Nurse Anesthesia Program.