The Villanova Law Review Norman J. Shachoy Symposium, January 18, 2013
Assessing the CISG and Other International Endeavors to Unify International Contract Law
The 2013 Villanova Law Review Norman J. Shachoy Symposium explores whether the United Nations should, as the Government of Switzerland has proposed, undertake a study to consider drafting a new convention on international sales law. The symposium features the leading authorities on the subject of international sales law from across the globe, including the Secretary of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), The Honorable Renaud Sorieul, and the U.S. State Department’s Assistant Legal Adviser for Private International Law, Keith Loken.
The symposium takes place on Friday, January 18, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at Villanova University School of Law (299 North Spring Mill Road, Villanova, Pennsylvania).
To register, visit http://lawreview2012.eventbrite.com/# . This program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 5 substantive credits.
- Yesim Atamer, Professor of Law, Istanbul Bilgi University; Vice Director, European Union Institute , Istanbul Bilgi University
- Albert Bloomsbury, Co-Chair, International contract and Commercial Law Committee, New York State Bar Association International Section
- Michael Bridge, Cassel Professor of Commercial Law, London School of Economics
- Luca Castellani, Director of the UNCITRAL Regional Centre for Asia and the Pacific
- Sieg Eiselen, Professor of Private Law, University of South Africa
- Harry Flechtner, Professor of International and Domestic Commercial Law, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Henry Gabriel, Professor of Law, Elon School of Law; Member, Governing Council of the International Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT)
- Alejandro Garro, Adjunct Professor of Law and Senior Research Scholar, Parker School of Foreign and Comparative Law, Columbia University School of Law
- John Y. Gotanda, Dean and Professor, Villanova University School of Law
- Keith Loken, Assistant Legal Adviser for Private International Law, U.S. State Department
- Alejandro Osuna, Adjunct Professor, Universidad Iberoamericana Tijuana; Osuna Gonzáles y Asociados, S.C.
- Jan Ramberg, Professor Emeritus, University of Stockholm; former Chairman, CISG Advisory Council
- Dr. Djakhongir Saidov, Professor of International Sales Law, University of Birmingham and Birmingham Law School
- Dr. Ulrich Schroeter, Professor of Private Law, International Corporate Law and European Business Law, University of Mannheim
- Dr. Ingeborg Schwenzer, Professor of Private and Comparative Law, University of Basel
- Han Shiyuan, Professor of Civil Law, Tsinghua University School of Law; Director, European and Comparative Law Center, Tsinghua University
- Hiroo Sono, Professor of Law, Hokkaido University
- Lisa Spagnolo, Assistant Lecturer in Property Law, Monash University
- Renaud Sorieul, Secretary, UNCITRAL; Director, International Trade Law Division, United Nations Office of Legal Affairs
- Pilar Perales Viscasillas, Chair of Commercial Law, University Carlos III of Madrid
- Peter Winship, Professor of International and Domestic Commercial Law, SMU Dedman School of Law
This program is being sponsored by of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law, the International Contract and Commercial Law Committee, New York State Bar Association International Section, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the Philadelphia Bar Association, Global Philadelphia and Transnational Dispute Management.
The annual Villanova Law Review Symposium is named for Norman J. Shachoy, in recognition of his generous support of Villanova University School of Law.