Villanova University to Begin Construction on New Law School Building
State-of-the-art facility to be LEED-certified “green building” with park-like setting and community walking/jogging trail
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 26, 2007
VILLANOVA, PA – Villanova University announced today the commencement of construction for its new law school building, slated for completion in August 2009. Groundbreaking for the new facility will begin in mid-November.
“I am pleased that after working closely with our Villanova neighbors regarding the new law school, we have developed a plan that meets the needs of everyone concerned,” said Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., president of Villanova University. “We’re looking forward to opening a beautiful world-class building in 2009 that, in addition to serving the 21st-century needs of our students and faculty, will be a beautiful addition to the entire neighborhood.”
The 174,000 square-foot facility features state-of-the-art classrooms and office facilities, including dedicated office space for the school’s award-winning clinical law program. The new building will be built according to LEED-certified specifications. The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design—LEED—Green Building Rating System, developed by the United States Green Building Council, provides a suite of standards for environmentally sustainable construction.
This “green building” will be surrounded by a park-like setting designed to blend in with the existing surrounding landscape. The new building will also feature a walking/jogging trail to increase pedestrian safety on County Line Road and North Ithan Avenue and offer recreation benefits to the entire community, which will be welcome to use it at all times.
To complement and add to the neighborhood’s natural beauty, the University has designed landscaping enhancements and will plant and maintain beautiful new trees and shrubs around the new building. Villanova University worked closely with the community on traffic concerns and will continue to support measures regarding the safety for students, faculty, visitors and its neighbors and to control traffic in the area.
“We’re extremely pleased that this new 21st-century law school building will provide everything we need for our students and faculty and that it will be completed as scheduled in August 2009,” said Mark Sargent, dean of the Villanova Law School.
The Villanova University School of Law, founded in 1953, is a Catholic and Augustinian institution that enrolls 725 J.D. candidates in a comprehensive program of legal education. It attracts students both from the mid-Atlantic region and from around the country, and its graduates are leaders in the legal profession, business and government both locally and throughout the United States.
Villanova University is a co-educational Roman Catholic institution founded by the Order of Saint Augustine in 1842. The University offers a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs through four colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Villanova School of Business, the College of Engineering, and the College of Nursing, as well as the Villanova Law School. With a total enrollment that surpasses 10,000 undergraduate, graduate and law students, Villanova is the oldest and largest Catholic university in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. For more information see www.villanova.edu.