St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration Scheduled for Sept. 21-23
The University’s St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration will feature three days of special events, including a Day of Service
The celebration will also include an Academic Symposium on the subject of Immigration Reform, and a closing community liturgy held on campus
VILLANOVA, PA – Villanova University will host its annual St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration on Sept. 21-23, and for the first time will feature three days of special events. The University traditionally begins its academic year with a celebration honoring St. Thomas of Villanova, the 16th-century Augustine bishop of Valencia, Spain, and patron of the University. Historically held on one afternoon, St. Thomas of Villanova Day was expanded for Fall 2007 to incorporate the Day of Service, an initiative that was a very successful part of the Inauguration of Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., as Villanova University President in Fall 2006.
Friday, September 21st
This year’s St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration kicks off with an Academic Symposium held in Villanova’s Connelly Center entitled "Immigration Reform: Where Culture, Politics and Principle Meet." The Symposium, which will be moderated by Villanova Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dr. John Johannes, will feature five guest speakers:
- Professor Rodolfo de la Garza serves as Director of the Project on Immigration, Ethnicity and Race and Eaton Professor of Administrative and Municipal Science at Columbia University.
- Chris West, from Catholic Relief Services, is Director of Field Operations for the U.S. Conference of Bishops' Justice for Immigrants Campaign.
- Hector Lopez is Associate Vice President for Government, Community, and Public Relations at the National Hispanic Institute (NHI) and directs the Villanova-National Hispanic Institute Leadership Service Center.
- Professor Michele Pistone is a Professor of Law and Director of the Clinical Program at Villanova School of Law.
- Professor Michael Moreland is an Assistant Professor of Law at the Villanova School of Law and recently served as Associate Director for Domestic Policy at The White House, where he worked on President Bush’s immigration proposals.
Saturday, September 22nd
On Saturday, St. Thomas of Villanova’s liturgical feast day, the University will hold a Day of Service in the Greater Philadelphia area. Villanova students, faculty, and staff, along with their families will perform service at various locations, including Ronald McDonald House (Philadelphia), Philabundance (Philadelphia), Southwest Community Enrichment Center (Philadelphia) and Habitat for Humanity (Norristown).
On Saturday evening, Villanova will play the University of Pennsylvania in a home football game beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, September 23rd
The St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration will conclude on Sunday with a closing community liturgy held on campus beginning at 4:15 p.m. on Mendel Field. University President, Rev. Peter M. Donohue, will celebrate the mass.
For more information regarding the 2007 St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration, go to: http://www.villanova.edu/homepage/president/stvcelebration/
*If any media would like to cover the Symposium or Day of Service, please contact Director of Media Relations Jonathan Gust at (610) 519-6508.
2007 St. Thomas of Villanova Celebration Schedule of Events
|Friday, September 21|
|Symposium||Connelly Center – Villanova Room||3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Saturday, September 22|
|Day of Service||Various locations across the Greater Philadelphia area||9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.|
|Community Celebration and Dinner||The Pavilion||4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.|
|Football Game vs. Pennsylvania||Villanova Stadium||6:00 p.m.|
|Sunday, September 23|
|Closing Community Liturgy||Mendel Field – Villanova University||4:15 p.m.|