Jerusha Conner, PhD
Education Policy & Counseling
Villanova University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Areas of Expertise:
- Education policy
- School reform
- Student engagement
- Urban education
- Youth organizing for education change
A strong ally to public school students and teachers, Dr. Jerusha Conner is an excellent quotable source on news and trends in education policy, urban education, and student learning, engagement and activism. An author of numerous publications, Conner can discuss education policy from the teacher, student, and administrator’s perspective.
- Ph.D. Stanford University
- A.B. Princeton University
- Conner, J. & Rosen, M., editors, Contemporary Youth Activism: Advancing Social Justice in the United States (book to be published Sept. 2016). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- April 7, 2016. “Help Teachers Help Students,” U.S. News and World Report, Knowledge Bank.
- Conner, J. & Monahan, K. (2016). “The costs of neoliberal education reform: The case of Philadelphia school closures.” University of Richmond Law Review, 50, 101-129.
- Conner, J. (2016). “Pawns or power players? The grounds on which adults dismiss or defend youth organizers.” Journal of Youth Studies 19(3), 403-420. DOI: 10.1080/13676261.2015.1083958.
- Galloway, M. & Conner, J. (2015). “Perpetuating privilege: Students’ perspectives on the culture of a high-performing and high-pressure school.” The Educational Forum, 79(2) 99-115. DOI: 10.1080/00131725.2014.1002592
- Conner, J., Miles, S. & Pope, D. (2014). “How many teachers does it take to support a student? Examining the relationship between teacher support and adverse health outcomes in high-performing, pressure-cooker schools”. The High School Journal, 98(1), 22-42. DOI: 10.1353/hsj.2014.0012
Assistant Professor of Education, Villanova University, 2007-2014
- Conner, J. & Cosner, K. (2015, April). “Becoming change agents: Comparing youth organizers and youth commissioners.” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- Rosen, S. & Conner, J. (2015, April). “Youth-led but not youth-run: A fair and meaningful distinction?” Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- Conner, J. (2015, April). “Participatory Action Research for Institutional Change: Reconsidering Diversity Training, Access, and Retention of Historically Marginalized Populations”. Discussant for symposium panel at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- Conner, J. (2015, April). “The hidden costs: How school closing affects students in Philadelphia.” Paper presented at the annual conference of the Urban Affairs Association, Miami, FL.