The 2020 Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal Symposium, 4/3
Due to on-going concerns surrounding the coronavirus, this event has been postponed until further notice.
Please see the University's COVID-19 Update for more details.
Sports in the New Decade: The Olympics & More
Friday, April 3, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Arthur M. Goldberg '66 Commons
Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
299 North Spring Mill Road, Villanova, PA 19085
What will the new opportunities and challenges in the world of sports be in the next decade? The 2020 Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Symposium will examine Sports in the New Decade, including topics such as the Olympics, athletes and social media, and emerging sports leagues. The symposium will kick-off with a one-on-one with Hall of Fame Sports Journalist and former ESPN anchor Bob Ley.
The symposium takes place on Friday, April 3, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in the Arthur M. Goldberg ’66 Commons at the Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law. This program is open to the public and is approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 3.0 CLE credits (2.0 Substantive, 1 Ethics).
Subject to change
8:15:-8:55 a.m.: How to Be an Agent
Practicing agents will discuss the ins and outs of the business.
Panelists to include former agents, Andrew Brandt, Director, The Jeffrey S. Moorad Center for Sports Law, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law and Jeffrey S. Moorad '81, Chairman, Morgan Lewis Global Sports Industry Practice and Chairman/CEO, Moorad Sports Partners.
9:11-9:45 a.m.: Conversation with Bob Ley, longtime host of ESPN's "Outside the Lines" and Hall of Fame Sports Journalist
Moderated by Andrew Brandt, Director, The Jeffrey S. Moorad Center for Sports Law, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law
9:50-10:35 a.m.: Panel 1 — Emerging Trends and Sports Leagues
A discussion detailing issue confronting leagues in the changing environment in sports, including changes in media, marketing and concussions.
- Charlie Ebersol, Former CEO & Founder, Alliance of American Football
- Jessica Berman, Deputy Commissioner & Executive Vice President of Business Affairs, National Lacrosse League and Former Vice President, Community Development, Culture & Growth, National Hockey League
- Joe Marsh, CEO, T1 Entertainment & Sports
- Scot McClintic, VP, Head of Barstool Sportsbook, Penn National Gaming
10:40-11:40 a.m.: Panel 2 — Olympics and International Arbitrations
A discussion of issues and disputes involving the Russian doping controversy, the structure of the CAS arbitration system for the International Court of Sport, and intersex athletes.
- TJ Quinn, Investigative Reporter, ESPN
- Matthew D. Kaiser '16, Associate, Global Sports Advocates
- Katherine K. Porter '10, Associate, International Litigation and Arbitration, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Affiliates
- Jeffrey G. Benz, Arbitrator, Court for Arbitration of Sport
11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Panel 3 — Athlete Branding and Marketing in a New Environment
Topics will range from advocacy, to brand endorsements, to challenges posed by the new allowance of Name Image Likeness (NIL) benefits for student-athletes.
The Moorad Symposium is sponsored by Morgan Lewis.