Skip to main content

Student's Guide to Employment

Student's Guide to Employment is a resource document for student employees voluntarily adopted by the University for informational purposes only. It is not intended to and does not create an express or implied contract of employment or any other contractual rights, obligations or liabilities. It does not contain any promises by the University and the University is not legally or otherwise bound by it. More specifically, the guide should not be considered as or relied upon by student employees as establishing terms and conditions of employment. Additionally, because employment is at-will, students are not guaranteed employment or any particular job or type of work for any specified period of time. Because employment is at-will, both the student and the University have the right to terminate employment at any time and for any or no reason and with or without prior notice. While the University may follow a disciplinary process from time to time, nothing in this guide or its application shall restrict the right of the University to terminate employees at-will. 

The Student Employment Program allows currently enrolled students, excluding University faculty and staff employees, to work up to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters and 35 hours per week during the Summer semester and academic breaks to earn funds to help pay for their educational expenses. Departments with 40 hour workweeks may allow students to work up to 40 hours during breaks and the Summer semester.

If a student holds multiple jobs on campus, the hours restriction applies across all University student employment. That is, no student may work more than a total of 20 hours per week during academic periods cumulative between all University student jobs. The student employee is responsible for notifying their supervisor in each job of all other University student employment positions held, along with information regarding scheduled hours of work in each.

An "international student" is one that is not a United States citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) and requires a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the United States. 

International students who are enrolled in classes have the opportunity to work on campus.  Those who are tuition scholars or graduate assistants should contact the International Student Office BEFORE seeking additional positions on campus. Please note: International students may NOT work off campus UNLESS they have authorization to do so. To review the additional guidelines required for international students, please visit the International Student Services website.

Under the present Social Security Administration regulations NO social security number will be issued unless the applicant can demonstrate that the number is required for employment purposes.

Procedure for applying for a social security card at Villanova University:

Find a position on the Villanova University campus. Please note: If you have either a graduate assistantship or a tuition scholarship you may not seek additional employment opportunities unless you speak with the International Student Office.

After you have obtained a position on campus please visit the International Student Services Office to begin the social security application process.

For any additional questions related to employment requirements for international students, please call the International Student Services Office: (610) 519-4095 or (610) 519-8017. 

All currently available student jobs are posted on the following website: Applications must be submitted online and new employee paperwork must be completed prior to beginning a position. Please visit our Applicant FAQ’s to find answers to our most frequently asked questions. 

Need assistance with writing a resume? Please refer to the "How to Write a Winning Resume" guide. For additional resources, please visit the University Career Center website

There are a variety of off-campus positions that are only available to eligible Federal Work-Study students who are Pennsylvania residents. Students from all programs of study will be placed in public interest jobs with non-profit organizations, which must be located in Pennsylvania and approved as participating employers.

To learn more about off-campus employment opportunities, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance: (610) 519-4010

Charles Widger School of Law students should contact (610) 519-7015 to inquire about the process of obtaining an off-campus employment opportunity. 

Once a student has submitted an application online and has been hired for a position, the student will receive an email invitation from the Human Resources department to visit our website to complete and submit new employee paperwork. Please note that all new student employees will still need to visit the Human Resources department on or before their first date of employment with the acceptable documentation as outlined in Form I9 to confirm their eligibility for employment. New student employees who have not completed this step will not be processed for payroll purposes.

The University requires the following completion of paperwork for the processing of a student employee:

Worker’s Compensation Information

The workers’ compensation law provides wage loss and medical benefits to employees who cannot work, or who need medical care, because of a work-related injury.

Worker’s Compensation Employee Notification

Informs you of your rights and responsibilities as a University employee.

Form W-4

This form must be completed with your permanent home address so that the University can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. If you claimed exempt, you must resubmit a tax form each year in January. International students must use a local address. Please note that the Human Resources department does not provide tax advice. Please consult with a parent/guardian and/or tax advisor if you have questions about completing this form.

Form I-9

Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and noncitizens. Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form. On the form, an employee must attest to their employment authorization. The employee must also present their employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization. The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the last page of the form.           

Direct Deposit

Direct Deposit is available for students’ paychecks and is strongly encouraged. It is the fastest, most efficient method of receiving pay. The Payroll Office will not mail pay checks to students. Direct Deposit forms are available on the Payroll Office website. Students who currently have their pay deposited into their bank account will be able to view their pay statement in MyNova. All changes to bank account information must be submitted to the Payroll Office immediately to avoid any delay in pay.

Pennsylvania Local Residency Certification Form

This form is required for all Villanova employees regardless of state residency and used by employers and/or taxpayers to report essential information for the collection and distribution of Local Earned Income Taxes. This form must be utilized by employers when a new employee is hired or when a current employee notifies employer of a name and/or address change.

Maryland, New Jersey, & Virginia Resident Tax form (for employees who reside in these states only)

Once we have received all of your completed new employee paperwork online and you have visited the Human Resources department with original identification as required to complete Form I-9, you will receive an email within 2 days after visiting the Human Resources department that you are now approved to begin working. If you have not received this information, please check your spam folder before contacting the Human Resources department. You may not begin working until after you receive approval from Human Resources. There will be no exceptions to this policy. 

The Payroll Office coordinates the disbursement of wages and stipends to student employees through the use of biweekly time sheets, web entry or appropriate verification provided by the departmental supervisor. Supervisors and student employees are responsible for the accurate and timely submission of these reports. Please note the schedule for deadlines to ensure timely preparation of your pay. Students will be paid on a bi-weekly basis (every other Wednesday) for all hours worked. This does not include lunch breaks. Graduate Assistants are paid monthly. Student employees are not eligible for sick, vacation, jury, inclement weather, or holiday pay.

Students newly enrolled in direct deposit will receive their first paycheck per the Payroll Office policy below. This policy also applies to students who have not signed up for direct deposit.

  • On-campus residents will have their check placed in their campus mailbox.
  • Off-campus residents will pick up their check at the student mail room (basement Kennedy Hall) during normal operating hours of 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Current picture ID is required to pick up check.
  • Graduate Assistants will pick up their check at their department. 

Submitting Timesheets

Student timesheets for departments listed as using Web Time Entry may be submitted online in NOVASIS. Please follow the student instructions for submitting a timesheet online. It is the responsibility of the student to record all hours worked and have them approved by the manager before the payroll deadline for each pay period. Timesheets should be completed for each day worked and not at the end of the two week period to ensure accurate recordkeeping. To learn more about Web Time Entry process, please visit the Payroll Office website.

If a department is not listed, students will need to use the paper timesheet.

Falsification of hours worked is a violation and may be subject to termination of employment.

Overtime Pay

Student employees will be paid an hourly rate and are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week during the academic year and no more than 35 hours per week during the summer. Please note that it is permissible to work 35 hours during academic breaks.  Departments with 40 hour workweeks may allow students to work up to 40 hours during academic breaks and also during the summer.

In compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, if a student employee records work hours that exceed 40 hours in one week, the student is entitled to receive overtime pay for the hours worked that exceed forty in one week. Overtime pay is equal 1.5 times the regular rate of pay.

Meal Breaks

Student employees must be given an unpaid 30 minute meal break for every 5 or more consecutive hours worked. 

Employment Taxes

Please contact the Payroll Office regarding questions about taxes withheld from student paychecks.

Form W-2

IRS form W-2 must be postmarked no later than January 31. All W-2 forms are mailed by that date. If you are currently employed at Villanova you can view and print a copy of your W-2 form through Villanova's NOVASIS web system. Click here to access NOVASIS. Once in NOVASIS, go to Employee Information.

W-2 may also be accessed in myNOVA.  Simply select the “Work@VU tab”, then click “Tax Information” in the Employee Resources and Quick Links section.  Click on “W-2 Wage and Tax Statement”.  After selecting the year click the “Display” button. Consent to electronic W-2’s is not required, just click OK or the submit buttons to skip that step.  Then simply select File – Print from the web browser menu bar.

Please visit the Payroll Office’s website for frequently asked payroll questions. 

Students may not be employed in a position which involves a direct supervisory relationship with a relative. Furthermore, no employee may work in a position in which he or she has the authority to influence, directly or indirectly, any term or condition of employment of the relative. Relatives are considered a spouse, ex-spouse, child, parent, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, step-relatives and in-laws. This policy applies to all full-time, part-time, temporary and student worker positions.

A Student Employee may have a need, depending on his/her employment duties, to drive Villanova University owned, leased, or rented vehicles. The Student Employee must complete the Motor Vehicle Record Consent Form, including a readable copy of his/ her United States driver’s license, and provide a copy of the Transcript received after completing the Online Driver Safety Training (Instructions for Online Driver Safety Training- New Student Drivers) to the Insurance and Risk Management Department in order to apply to become a University approved driver. Insurance and Risk Management will then conduct a Motor Vehicle Record check and evaluate the results using the MVR Criteria listed in the Motor Vehicle Record Policy for Drivers of University Vehicles. If approved, the Student Employee will receive an email from Insurance and Risk Management confirming he/ she is a University approved driver.

The Human Resources department processes all employment verifications for current and former student employees. The request must be faxed to the department and must include a signed form authorizing the release of employment related information. We will not process requests that do not include this information. All requests will be completed within 48 hours after receipt. Our fax number is (610) 519-6667. 

Student employees may resign from their position(s) at any time; however, we encourage providing the department with a two week notice. Once it has been decided that a student will not return to a position, the department will submit the appropriate paperwork to the Human Resources department to terminate the student’s employment status.

Conversely, a department may terminate a student’s employment at any time without notice. Please see the “Employment At-Will” policy above.

If the resignation or termination is the result of a work-related problem, we encourage all students and departments to work out a resolution before deciding on this final step. Please contact the Human Resources department at (610) 519-7934 for guidance or questions related to this. 

Please visit the Student Life page to learn more about Villanova's Sexual Violence Policy

Student employees are strongly encouraged to complete the Harassment Prevention Training Course in Blackboard. Please review the instructions for how to access this course. 

Villanova is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.