Full-time employees generally receive ten (10) paid holidays per year and up to (6) additional holidays to accomodate the time from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day. A total of six (6) holidays are provided to part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work 1,000 or more hours per year and are scheduled to work on the day of the week the holiday is celebrated.* Employees in certain departments may be required to work on these holidays. Bargaining unit employees should consult the union contract for a list of paid holidays.
* A holiday is defined as the number of hours an employee is regularly scheduled to work in a day.
- Celebration of Christmas & New Year's, up to a total of six (6) days
- Martin Luther King Day
- Easter Season
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
Each year, the University will announce the observance of holidays for the next twelve (12) month period. Of particular note is the Celebration of Christmas and New Year's . This week runs from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day and may be observed in various configurations to take into account optimal periods of time off and time worked, to maximize the enjoyment of the holidays for employees, and to maximize the effectiveness and efficiencies of work schedules and utility costs for the University's needs.
If a holiday falls on an employee's vacation or sick day, the day will not be charged to the employee's vacation or sick leave banks. In order to receive holiday pay, an employee must work his/her scheduled workdays before and after the holiday, unless such absence is occasioned by illness or accident, in which case, the day the employee returns to work he/she shall furnish the University with a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the specific absence and length of such absence was due to an illness or accident.
Part time employees starting mid-year will receive a pro-rated share of holidays in the year in which they start.
Bargaining unit employees should consult their contract for a list of paid holidays.
Staff Holiday Schedule (2020)
- New Year's Celebration - Wednesday, January 1, 2020, Thursday, January 2, 2020, and Friday, January 3, 2020
- Martin Luther King Day Celebration - Monday, January 20, 2020
- Easter Season Celebration - Good Friday, April 10, 2020, and Easter Monday, April 13, 2020
- Memorial Day Celebration - Monday, May 25, 2020
- Independence Day Celebration - Friday, July 3, 2020
- Labor Day Celebration - Monday, September 7, 2020
- Thanksgiving Celebration - Thursday, November 26, 2020, and Friday, November 27, 2020
- Christmas Celebration and *New Year's Celebration - Thursday, December 24, 2020, Friday, December 25, 2020, Monday, December 28, 2020, Tuesday, December 29, 2020, Wednesday, December 30, 2020, Thursday, December 31, 2020, and *Friday, January 1, 2021
*listed on the 2021 holiday schedule
Staff Holiday Schedule (2021)
- New Year's Celebration - Friday, January 1, 2021
- Martin Luther King Day Celebration - Monday, January 18, 2021
- Easter Season Celebration - Good Friday, April 2, 2021
- Memorial Day Celebration - Monday, May 31, 2021
- Independence Day Celebration - Monday, July 5, 2021
- Labor Day Celebration - Monday, September 6, 2021
- Thanksgiving Celebration - Thursday, November 25, 2021 and Friday, November 26th, 2021
- Christmas Celebration and New Year's Celebration - Thursday December 23, 2021, Friday December 24, 2021, Monday December 27, 2021, Tuesday December 28, 2021, Wednesday, December 29, 2021, and Thursday, December 30, 2021 and Friday, December 31, 2021