Please note that you will be utilizing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer your 2021 Tax Data onto the FAFSA.
You and your parents are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the studentaid.gov website if you:
- Filed your federal tax return with the IRS. You can only use the tool if you do not owe taxes, or have submitted payment for your taxes to the IRS.
- Have a valid social security number.
- Have a Federal FSA Username and Password (if you do not have this information, you will be given the option to apply for one)
You and your parents are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- Your marital status changed after December 31, 2021.
- You are Married but filed your Federal Income Tax Returns with the Filing Status of Married Filing Separately or Head of Household.
- You filed a Puerto Rico or foreign tax return.
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN).
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return.
If any of the above circumstances apply, you will need to obtain your 2020 IRS Tax Return Transcript and submit a copy to IDOC.
Please note that signed copies of your 2021 federal tax returns, along with all schedules and W-2 forms, must still be submitted directly to IDOC as part of Villanova’s financial aid application process. View Step 3 of the Financial Aid Process for instructions.
1. Visit studentaid.gov and click “Login”, enter the student's personal information, then click on “Make FAFSA Corrections”. Once in the FAFSA, navigate to the "Financial Information" tab, where the option to use the tool will display for eligible students and parents. Make sure that you have corrected your filing status from "Will File" to "Already Completed" to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
2. You must ensure that the name and address of the FIRST PERSON LISTED on a joint tax return is the same on the FAFSA as it shows on the tax return. When inputting your information on the IRS' website, you must enter your name and address EXACTLY as it appears on your tax return, including all punctuations, abbreviations, spacing, and spellings.
3. When you have finished completing the IRS Data Retrieval Tool process, please be sure to re-sign and re-submit the FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval process will remain incomplete without this important final step being completed. In addition, you must NOT change any information that was transferred from the IRS otherwise the FAFSA will be considered invalid and consequently you will then be required to submit the 2021 IRS Tax Return Transcripts.