Frequently Asked Questions

Reporting Scholarship funds on your Federal Income Tax Return



I am currently under DACA status, what type of aid do I qualify for?

As a student under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals you will be considered for merit-based scholarships through the Admission’s Office.  Per Federal Regulations, students under DACA are not eligible for federal funding.

However, effective for full-time undergraduate students accepted into the Class of 2021, the University will be providing limited need based assistance to students who reside in the United States but do not hold an immigrant visa.

Prospective full-time undergraduate students for the Class of 2023 who are interested in applying for any of the need-based programs of financial assistance must complete the financial aid process by the deadline listed below:

Early Decision Applicants
Deadline Date: November 1, 2018
Award Notification: December 20, 2018

Early Action & Regular Decision Applicants
Deadline Date: January 15, 2019
Award Notification: April 1, 2019

In order to apply for need based assistance, complete the process listed below:

Step One:

Complete the 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid at

Step Two:

Complete the 2019-2020 CSS Profile at

Step Three

Utilize the College Board IDOC service ( to submit the following*:

  • Signed copies of parent(s)’/stepparent's 2017 US Federal or Puerto Rico Tax Return and all schedules (if filed) and all 2017 Federal W-2 and/or 1099 or 1099R forms.
  • Signed copies of the student’s 2017 US Federal or Puerto Rico Tax Returns and all schedules (if filed) and all 2017 Federal W-2 and/or 1099 or 1099R forms.
*If you and/or your parent were not required to file a Federal Income Tax Return, you must then submit the Non-Tax Filer Form which is available through the student's IDOC dashboard.

Due to the limited availability of funding, not all students who are admitted will be awarded financial aid. In addition, all students receiving funds are expected to contribute personally toward educational and personal expenses while attending Villanova University.

Students who are offered admission to Villanova University, complete the financial aid application process by January 15, 2019 and are selected to receive funds, will be able to view their financial aid award on the Applicant Status Page by April 1, 2019 and subsequently receive a financial aid notification in the mail.  Students who are not selected for funding will be notified by April 1, 2019 as well.

Back to Top

Where do I get the applications for Financial Assistance?

If you are a high school student, the FAFSA form is available on the web at and the CSS Profile is available on the web at

Upperclass students will be sent a Renewal FAFSA email if they previously completed a FAFSA on the Web. Besides the Renewal FAFSA, students will also need to submit the CSS Profile and submit the tax documents to IDOC.

Back to Top

What are your application deadlines?

For the 2019-2020 Academic Year: The 2019-2020 FAFSA, CSS Profile, and all appropriate tax documents must be received by November 1st for Prospective Freshmen applying Early Decision, January 15th for Prospective Freshmen applying Early Action and Regular Decision,  June 1st for Fall 2019 Transfer students, November 1st for Spring 2020 Transfer students, and November 1st for BSN Express students. Returning Undergraduates must submit the FAFSA, CSS Profile, and appropriate tax documents by April 1st. See the Key Dates page for more information.

For the 2018-2019 Academic Year: The 2018-2019 FAFSA form, the 2018-2019 CSS Profile, and all appropriate tax documents must be submitted to IDOC by January 15th for Prospective Freshmen, November 1st for New BSN Express students,  November 1st for Spring 2019 Transfer students, or June 1st for Fall 2018 Transfer students. Returning Undergraduates must submit the FAFSA, CSS Profile, and appropriate tax documents by April 1st. See the Key Dates page for more information.

Back to Top

What if our taxes will not be completed by your deadlines?

Starting with the 2017-2018 academic year, the financial aid applications now request the prior-prior year's tax data and therefore taxes should be completed by our deadlines. However, we understand that sometimes this is not possible due to being granted an extension. You may use estimated data on the FAFSA and/or CSS Profile form. However, if we do not receive your tax return before the award is presented to you, the award is tentative and is subject to change once we receive actual tax returns for the prior year. Once we receive your completed tax returns, the file will be re-evaluated and aid may be adjusted, if necessary.  We recommend that you submit your completed tax return to IDOC as close to the deadline as possible if you are not able to meet the deadline to avoid receiving a tentative offer and the potential of a change to your need-based award.  Please note that we cannot extend the deadline for submission of the FAFSA and/or CSS Profile due to taxes not being complete.  Failure to file these forms by the published deadlines may result in a reduction or elimination of your need-based assistance.

Back to Top

How do I complete the IRS Data Retrieval Process?

You must actively choose to utilize the data retrieval tool.  Your tax filing status on the FAFSA must be “Already Completed.”   If you choose to do so, you will be transferred to the Internal Revenue Service website. There, the FAFSA Central Processing System (CPS) will conduct a data match with the IRS. Applicants will need to authenticate their identity before any information is displayed. For security purposes you will not see the amounts that are transferred, instead you will be provided a list of all the possible fields from a tax return that could transfer back into the FAFSA form. The applicant will have the option to "Transfer Now" the tax information to the FAFSA. Transferred data will have a notation —"Transferred from the IRS"-Do NOT Change Any of the Transferred Information.  The address listed on the FAFSA application must match EXACTLY the address listed on your filed tax returns.  For example: If the tax returns list 111 Main Street, you can not abbreviate to 111 Main St. on the FAFSA, and IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

Back to Top

Who is eligible to complete the IRS Data Retrieval Process?

You and your parents are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for the 2019-2020 academic year on the website if you:

  • Filed your 2017 federal tax return with the IRS.  You can only use the tool if you do not owe taxes, or have submitted payment for your taxes to the IRS. 
  • Have a valid social security number.
  • Have a FSA Username and Password (if you do not have a FSA Username and Password, you will be given the option to apply for one)

You and your parents are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:

  • Your marital status changed after December 31, 2017.
  • You filed married filing separately, but listed married as marital status on the FAFSA application.
  • You filed Head of Household, but listed married as marital status on FAFSA application.
  • You filed an amended return.
  • You filed a foreign tax return.
  • You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN).
  • The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return.

According to the IRS, this tool cannot be used until 1-2 weeks after electronically filing a tax return and 6-8 weeks after filing paper tax returns. The primary tax filer must access the IRS Data Retrieval Tool through the website by logging in with their FSA username and password and completing the IRS Data Retrieval process.  If the primary tax filer does not have a FSA Username and Password please go to to create one.

Please note that signed copies of your 2017 federal tax returns, along with all schedules and W-2 forms, still must be submitted directly to IDOC as part of Villanova’s financial aid application process.

Back to Top

How can I obtain an official IRS Tax Return Transcript?

If you and/or your parent(s)/stepparent are not eligible, or choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when submitting the FAFSA, the US Department of Education requires our office to collect a Tax Return Transcript processed by the IRS. Please note that parents who are married but filing separately must submit 2 separate IRS transcripts. Transcripts are not required for those filing a foreign or Puerto Rican tax return IF you are able to obtain a transcript at no cost.

You can download your Tax Return Transcript through the IRS website. Please make sure you request a Tax Return Transcript. Do not request an Account Transcript or Record of Account because they cannot be used for the federal verification process. Once you have the transcript you will need to upload the transcript to IDOC.  Please be advised that our office cannot verify your financial aid award without a tax return transcript or IRS Data Retrieval Tool.  

The other option to receive your Tax Return Transcript is to get the transcript by mail.  You will still need to go to the IRS website, print out the request form, and mail it in to the IRS.  Please note that it takes approximately 5-10 business days from the time the IRS recieves your request for you to receive the transcript in the mail.  Once the transcript is received, you will then need to upload the transcript to IDOC.

To obtain a tax return transcript online please follow these steps:

  • Go to
  • Click "Get Transcript Online"
  • Either Create an Account (new user) or Log In (returning user)
  • Be sure to select transcript for the Tax Year (i.e., 2016 for the 2018-2019 academic year or 2017 for the 2019-2020 academc year)
  • Save the document and then upload to IDOC

You can also obtain a tax return transcript by mail following these steps:

  • Go to
  • Click on "Get Transcript by Mail"
  • Enter your information
  • Select "Return Transcript" and appropriate year (2016 for 2018-2019 or 2017 for the 2019-2020 academic year) and click continue
  • You will then receive confirmation that your request has been accepted and the IRS will mail the transcript to the address they have on file for you
**If the IRS cannot locate your information, you will need to complete and submit a 4506-T form to the IRS to request your transcript.  Please make sure to indicate which tax year on Line 6 and check off #6a; Return Transcript.  The IRS will then mail you your transcript.  Once it is received you will need to upload the document to IDOC.  

Back to Top

Do I need to apply for assistance before I know if I have been admitted?

Yes. The majority of our students are notified of admission status on or about the third week of March. This is after our deadlines for both the FAFSA and the CSS Profile for Freshman and Transfer Students. You may apply after these deadlines; however, we cannot guarantee that institutional and/or certain Federal funds will remain available.

Back to Top

What is Villanova's Title IV School Code and the CSS Profile School Code?

The Title IV school code for the FAFSA is 003388 and the CSS Profile School code is 2959.

Back to Top

What if I want to apply for assistance at more than 10 schools?  The FAFSA only lets me list 10 at a time.

We ask that Villanova be one of the first 10 schools listed. However, if Villanova is not listed on the FAFSA, you may replace one of the other schools listed on your Student Aid Report. You may do so by making the change directly on your paper Student Aid Report and returning it to the Central Processor by calling 1-800-433-3243, or by making the corrections on-line.   

Back to Top

What do I do if I feel that I have a "special circumstance?"

If there is anything you feel should be brought to our attention, contact our office in writing so that we may have a record of these circumstances. Depending on the circumstances, we may be able to use this information in determining financial need.

Back to Top

I just received my Student Aid Report (SAR).  The Processor says I need to make corrections.  How do I do this?

Make any necessary corrections online at  Sign in using your FSA ID Username and FSA ID Password or First Name, Last Name, Social Security Number, and Date of Birth.  All corrections will be sent to Villanova University electronically.

Back to Top

What if I do not want to file the CSS Profile?

Students who choose not to complete the CSS Profile form will only be considered for federal and state assistance, and will not be considered for any Villanova University Grants.  We encourage all Freshmen, Returning Sophomores and Juniors, and Transfer students who are interested in admission for the 2019-2020 year to file the CSS Profile.

Back to Top

I'm only interested in merit-based money.  Who do I contact?

Scholarships at Villanova are typically selected by committees formed by the Office of University Admission. Students are encouraged to complete the financial aid application process, but it is not a requirement in order to be considered for a scholarship.  Preference may be given to students who have a demonstrated financial need.  

Back to Top

How do outside scholarships affect my financial aid award?

At Villanova University, outside scholarships are considered a resource and must be included in the students' overall financial aid package. We will allow students to retain their outside aid IF financial need has not been met. If a student’s need is met, we will reduce the Federal Work Study, then reduce the Federal Direct Subsidized Loan. However, once those options are exhausted, we are required to reduce Villanova Grant/Scholarship funds that have been awarded to the student.  If any changes are made to the student's awards, it will be reflected on their MyNova account as well as a revised award letter will be sent to the student.  For additional information, please view our Packaging Policies.

Back to Top

What is the Family Financing Option on my award letter?

The Family Financing Option is not an offer of aid but rather a reflection of options available to finance your remaining cost of attendance.  The amount of the Family Financing Option on your award letter is the estimated amount that students/families will be responsible for contributing to their education.  The dollar amount is the difference between the cost of attendance and the financial assistance awarded to the student.  This portion can be financed through the monthly payment plan (TMS), a Federal Direct PLUS loan (parent loan) and/or an alternative educational loan. 

Back to Top

What is Work Study?

Work Study is a need based financial assistance program that allows students to work on-campus during the academic year. Students receive a paycheck bi-weekly for hours worked. Funds for work study are paid directly to the student and are not credited to the tuition account.

Back to Top

Am I required to work during my freshmen year?

Work-study jobs are included in financial aid packages, and most students elect to work 10 to 12 hours a week. However, if you elect not to work, you may request an alternative loan in lieu of all or part of your work-study job.

Back to Top

Can Work-Study earnings be applied to my bill?

Villanova University does not accept monthly or weekly payments; therefore, your bi-weekly earnings from Federal Work-Study cannot be applied to your tuition account. Federal Work-Study is paid bi-weekly directly to the student in the form of a paper check mailed to their on-campus mailbox or by direct deposit. We strongly recommend direct deposit for efficient payment of your Work Study earnings.

Back to Top

When can I expect to receive the tuition bill?

Student account billing is presented electronically.  The bill for the Fall semester usually is available through the Bursar's Office webpage before the 10th of July and is due around August 10. The bill for the Spring semester is available in mid-November and is due around December 10.  More information on billing and many other subjects may be found in the Parents' Handbook or on the Bursar's webpage.

Back to Top

How can I keep track of my total loan debt?

All students can track their loans that have been processed and disbursed on MyNova under the Financial Aid Services section. On this site you will be able to see your total awards/loans for each year. This site will tell you when your loans have been certified and disbursed to your account. Additionally, the federal government’s National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is a repository of all sorts of information on federal loans and grants that you receive at all schools, so if you have attended more than one college or University or plan to track your loans after you graduate, NSLDS is a valuable resource.  You can access NSLDS at

Back to Top

What is the minimum GPA for consideration or renewal of Financial Aid?

Financial assistance awarded by our office is based solely on financial need. However there are minimal requirements, per Federal regulations, for renewal of need-based financial aid. Our satisfactory academic progress policy requires a 2.0 GPA and completion of 24 credits each year for Full-Time Undergraduate Students. It is strongly suggested that you review the SAP Policy. Please review all requirements for any merit-based aid the student may receive, as these requirements differ and are much stricter. There may be a different GPA or other academic requirements you must satisfy for the renewal of any Scholarships/Merit-Based aid.   

Back to Top

What happens to my financial assistance in my second year? Does Villanova reduce the grant automatically?

Villanova University has a commitment to our students. Therefore, if the financial need does not change in the second year, the grant will remain the same. However, since circumstances may change either for better or worse, we evaluate financial need every year. 

Back to Top

Will I receive the same financial aid for all four years?

Your Financial Aid Award usually remains consistent over the four years of your education, assuming your financial situation remains consistent. However, Financial Aid is re-evaluated every year. Financial Need is calculated by both Federal Methodology (FAFSA), CSS Profile and Institutional Methodology (Villanova University). Federal Methodology, determined by the calculation of the information submitted on the FAFSA application is used when awarding Federal Pell, Federal Supplemental Education Grant (FSEOG), Direct Loans, and Federal Perkins/Nursing Loans. Institutional Methodology is used when awarding the need-based Villanova Grant. Institutional Methodology, is a separate calculation based on household size, number of household members enrolled full-time in an undergraduate program, taxable and untaxable income, home and business/farm value, is used when awarding need-based Villanova grant funds.  Please view our Packaging Policies to understand how need-based aid is determined and what elements can affect institutional grant eligibility.  Please Note: how aid eligibility can be affected in future years can also be found in the Financial Aid Award Booklet.

Back to Top

On MyNova I see that my cost of attendance allows for charges for room and board but I am living off campus?

The cost of attendance (the budget) is the figure that is reported to the Federal Government to reflect allowable indirect as well as direct billable costs to attend Villanova University.  Check your billing screen on MyNova to determine your direct billable costs for which you are responsible to pay. The cost of attendance is the maximum amount that students/families can borrow, minus any financial aid that the student is awarded.

Back to Top

How does living off campus affect my financial aid award?

Because most Villanova students are not guaranteed housing in their fourth year, the Office of Financial Assistance will review, process, and disburse your aid as an on-campus student, you will see that your total cost of attendance will still include a meal and housing allowance. The only difference is that when living off-campus (not residing at your parents' home), you are paying rent to a landlord. In this case, students often receive a refund from our Bursar’s office. This refund can be used for rent and meals (room and board).

Back to Top

How does studying abroad affect my financial aid?

Students who study abroad are charged Villanova University’s tuition rate which allows financial assistance to be used for the Fall Semester, Spring Semester, or a combination of the Fall & Spring Semesters.  Other program costs (e.g. room, board, transportation in a foreign country, airfare, visas, etc.) are recalculated according to the individual study abroad program to determine your cost of attendance.  This recalculation of program costs can possibly result in a reduction of financial aid or an increase in loan eligibility.

After reviewing your financial aid file for any changes to your financial aid eligibility, grants and federal funds will be credited to your account as if you had stayed at Villanova.  In addition, Villanova University academic scholarships are applicable for study abroad semesters. 

Please Note:  If you are a recipient of Tuition Remission, Tuition Exchange, or an Augustinian Relative Remission Grant, the value of these remissions do NOT apply for any study abroad programs.  In these cases, the student will be charged the tuition of the sending school and not that of Villanova University, as well as a processing fee charged by our Bursar’s Office.  

We strongly encourage students to visit the Office of Financial Assistance to discuss funding before making a final decision on a study abroad program.  

Back to Top

How will my financial aid be affected if I withdraw?

Federal aid is reviewed under a federal process called “Return of Title IV Funds." The premise is that even though aid is packaged before the beginning of the semester, the aid is actually earned through being enrolled.  The percentage of the semester that a student remains enrolled correlates to the percentage of federal aid “earned” as of that point.  Please view our Return of Title IV Policy for additional information.

For example, a student withdrawing at the 20% point in the semester has only earned 20% of the federal aid awarded, thus is at risk of having 80% of the federal aid returned.  This may, in some cases, result in a fairly large balance, as tuition is adjusted according to a different schedule.  See the Bursar’s Office website for more information about tuition adjustments for withdrawal.

Back to Top

What happens to my financial aid if I become a Residential Assistant (RA)?

Because Residential Assistants receive a stipend for their room and board, we need to include assistance received as an RA in the overall financial aid package. This could mean that some changes are made to the student’s financial aid. Students are encouraged to meet with a Financial Assistance Counselor before making their final decision regarding the acceptance of an RA position.

Back to Top

Will dropping to a part-time student affect my financial aid?

Yes, it will affect your financial aid. If you begin a semester full-time and then drop to half-time, aid will need to be adjusted and some sources may be reduced or canceled entirely.  In general, we only offer Federal Pell grant (to those who are eligible), Direct Loans, and Alternative (Private Bank) Educational Loans to our part-time students. Villanova Grant assistance is not offered to students enrolled on a part-time basis; however, Villanova Grant consideration may be given to students who were enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student, but are now last-semester seniors enrolled in at least nine credits.  Students are encouraged to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor before making a final decision to go to a part-time status.

Back to Top

What if I need to speak to a financial assistance counselor?

Usually, your questions can be answered by any one of our student services representatives. However, if there are special circumstances that you would like to discuss with an administrator, you may ask for an appointment by calling our office at 610.519.4010 and speaking with one of our representatives.

Back to Top

How does the Office of Financial Assistance send communications to the students?

Prospective Freshmen are notified by access to their Applicant Status Page account and via an official award letter from our office prior to the start of classes.  Once classes begin, all communications regarding the financial aid award is made via email and MyNova. Upperclassmen receive emails to their Villanova email account informing them to check MyNova for their financial award. Overall, students are expected to consistently review MyNova or their Villanova email accounts for any updates pertaining to financial assistance. 

Back to Top

When will I receive my refund check if my account states that I have a credit balance?

A refund will be automatically processed if Federal Funds for the semester exceed the semester charges.  Refund checks are mailed to the student’s permanent address unless a direct deposit account has been created.  Students can create a direct deposit account by accessing the Bursar Dashboard, under the Sign-up for Direct Deposit of Refunds Tab in their MyNova account.   

Back to Top

Where can I get information on the Yellow Ribbon Program at VU?

Information regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program can be found by visiting the Registrar's Webpage.

Back to Top

Can I get documents that I submitted to the Office of Financial Assistance back or a copy?

Our policy is that once documents are submitted to the Office of Financial Assistance, they become Villanova University's property. When our office requests documents from a student and/or parent(s)/stepparent, we only request copies so that the original documents remain with the student.  

Back to Top

Will my financial aid cover my summer courses?

Financial aid is not applicable to the summer term with the exception of the Federal Pell Grant. However, parents can apply for the Direct PLUS loan to cover the summer educational expenses and/or students can apply for an educational alternative loan for this time period. BSN Express students and graduate students are also an exception, and Direct Loans can be certified for the summer term.

Back to Top

I have been accepted into the 5-year BS/MS Program. How will my financial aid be affected?

Need-based financial aid is awarded for eight semesters as a full-time, day undergraduate student.  In your last year, you will be considered to be a graduate student and would only be eligible for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans of $20,500 per academic year, unless you are provided a graduate assistantship.

Back to Top

Are adult or part-time students eligible for financial aid?

As a part-time matriculated student, you would be eligible for certain forms of aid if you registered for at least six credits per semester.  This would include Federal Pell Grant, PA State Grant (for Pennsylvania residents) and Direct Loans.  In addition, all part-time students have the option of utilizing our alternative tuition payment plan and/or other alternative loans.  Financial aid forms and information on federal or state grants, loans, and scholarships are available through the Office of Financial Assistance 610-519-4010.  Although students enrolled on a part-time basis are not eligible for Villanova University Grant, there are a limited number of scholarships available to part-time students.  Please access the College Of Professional Studies webpage for the latest information.

Back to Top

Is any part of my scholarship required to be reported on a Federal Income Tax Return?

According to federal tax law: "Scholarship amounts that exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for attendance and coursework are considered taxable income to the recipient.  Amounts which would be considered taxable include scholarship funds which cover costs of room and board, travel, and optional equipment. " 

Please consult your tax advisor for information regarding filing a tax return and reporting these amounts.

Back to Top

2018-2019 Financial Aid Booklet for Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

Click the link above to view the 2018-2019 Villanova University Financial Aid Booklet for Entering Freshmen and Transfer Students


2018-2019 Financial Aid Booklet for Returning Undergraduate Students

Click the link above to view the 2018-2019 Villanova University Financial Aid Booklet for Returning Undergraduate Students


2018-2019 International Student Financial Aid Information Sheet

Click the link above to view the 2018-2019 Villanova University International Student Financial Aid Information Sheet


2018-2019 Financial Aid Booklet for BSN Express Students

Click the link above to view the 2018-2019 Villanova University Financial Aid Booklet for BSN Express Students


2018-2019 Financial Aid Booklet for Graduate Students

Click the link above to view the 2018-2019 Villanova University Financial Aid Booklet for Graduate Students