Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory Grades

Upperclass engineering students may elect to take, on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis, one course per semester which meets all of the following criteria:

  1. it is not specifically designated by course number in the curriculum of the student’s major;
  2. it is not being given by the department in which the student is majoring;
  3. it is not designated as a Technical Elective in the curriculum of the student’s major;
  4. it is not being used to meet requirements for any minor offered by the College of Engineering; and
  5. permission to take the course has been specifically granted by the chair of the department in which the student is majoring. Students must check with minors outside the College as to their acceptance of  Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory credit.

To take a course on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis, the student must first register for the course by the normal procedure. After registration has been completed, the student must complete a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory form (supplied by the Registrar’s Office); this form must be signed by the student’s Department Chair.

University Policies

You can view University Policies such as Attendance, Discipline, Academic Integrity, Medical Leave of Absence, Withdrawal from University, etc. on the Office of the Provost's web site or in the online University Catalog.

The Registrar's Office defines the grades for the University.