Change Major/Transfer for Current Villanova Students


Change of Major within the College of Engineering

The ability to change majors within the College of Engineering is limited and will be based on space availability and a competitive selection process. There will be one window per year when those requests are taken into consideration.

Transfer of College within Villanova University

Engineering students who wish to change their major to an area outside of engineering must apply for admission to the dean of the college offering that program.

Students who wish to change their major to Engineering from another college within the university, must contact the office of the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs in the College of Engineering. The procedure is to apply to Engineering by sending an email to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. In this note the student should indicate the major (Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical, or Mechanical) of interest. We will acknowledge receipt of the student’s request to transfer within a week.  We will request the student’s file, consider his/her record, and notify the student of our decision within 30 days of receipt of the request.

Note to incoming freshman students: To be fair to those who have applied to Engineering as high school students and were not accepted, we regret that we cannot accept a student who was accepted by another College and wants to transfer immediately to Engineering on entering campus in August. Since the acceptance criteria for each College clearly differ (Engineering looks for outstanding performance in HS science and math, whereas CLAS, Nursing, and VSB may not, for example) all of us recognize a possible unfair advantage to this. Most importantly, there is not enough time for Engineering to consider the application and work through the acceptance process in the normal way without rushing to judgment.

Students in this situation can apply to Engineering as an internal transfer student in the fall (see the above procedure). We will consider their application based on high school record and performance at fall midterm, and advise them of our decision by early December. If accepted, they could start Engineering in the spring, or wait until the following fall.

VSB students wishing to transfer to Engineering, in particular, may use the opportunity to begin to build on a business minor, assuming they are accepted by Engineering. Other minors are possible for students wishing to transfer to Engineering from CLAS or Nursing.

University Policies

You can view University Policies such as Attendance, Discipline, Academic Integrity, Medical Leave of Absence, Withdrawal from University, etc. on the Office of the Provost's web site or in the online University Catalog.