Commencement Information for Graduate Engineering Students

All academic requirements must be completed and processed before the date of graduation. Students expecting to graduate must submit the online application through myNOVA no later than the date specified in the chart below (also see the academic calendar) in which they expect to complete their program requirements.  Those who miss the deadline for May graduation will not have their names printed in the Commencement program.

Important Questions to Review for Graduate Students Approaching Degree Completion:

Who Should Apply for Graduation?

All Villanova University graduate students in the College of Engineering are required to submit a prospective graduate form prior to the completion of his/her degree requirements.

If you registered for a previous graduation term and did not graduate, you must re-register for your new graduation date

Back to Top

How Do You Apply for Graduation?

In myNOVA, Search and select “Prospective Graduate Form” and follow the steps.

Back to Top

When Do You Apply for Graduation?



September 1

February 1 – June 15

December 31

March 1 – September 15

May 31

August 25 – January 31

Back to Top

What If I Don't Finish My Requirements Until Summer or Fall?

Permission to Participate in May Commencement:

Any graduate student expecting to complete his/her degree requirements in the semester/session following May graduation may request permission to participate in the Commencement ceremony in May by completing the form entitled “Request to Walk In Graduation Ceremonies” found here  A student requesting this permission should have no more than six credits to complete.  Your name will not appear in the Commencement program until the following May, after you have officially graduated. 

PLEASE NOTE:  Participating in Commencement does not mean you are graduating.  You will not have your name listed in the Commencement Ceremony Program and you will not be issued a diploma until your degree requirements are completed. You must apply to graduate separately.  Register (or re-register) for graduation via the myNOVA portal to access the prospective graduation form (see information at the top of this page).

Back to Top

What If I'm Having Trouble Applying Through MyNova?

If you are unable to complete the Prospective Graduate Form due to technical difficulties and/or a late application (please refer application submission dates), a hold on your account, inactive status, or less than 21 earned credit hours on your transcript, please email with the subject line “Graduation Form” for the appropriate steps to complete an alternate graduate form.

Back to Top

What Do I Need To Know About Academic Regalia?

Please click here for details about the options for Masters students to obtain their cap, gown, hood, and tassel. Please note there is a deadline for both options.

Back to Top

Are There Any Honors Categories for Graduate Students?

All graduate students must earn a 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher to receive their master's degrees. Therefore, there are no honors categories for master's level students.

Back to Top