Most students entering the program will have a master of science degree. The program will accept students into the program with a bachelor of science degree on a very selective basis.
Program requirements for students with MS degree
- The student must take a minimum of six courses (18 credits) including at least one graduate level mathematics course. The actual courses and any additional courses will be listed in a program of study that will be drawn up by the student's Guidance Committee.
- The student will be required to register for 30 credits of research.
- The student will be required to take a qualifying examinations preferably before the end of the second semester or as determined appropriate by his/her Guidance Committee. This examination will be in two areas: mathematics and a discipline specific exam. A maximum of two attempts is permitted to pass this examination.
- After passing the qualifying exam, all full-time PhD students are required to complete EGR 9240, the PhD Professional Development Seminar
- In addition, he/she is required to defend a proposal of dissertation as well as a final dissertation defense.