Full-time undergraduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.25 have the option of applying for admission into the five-year combined Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering/Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering program.
Students will earn a BS degree after four years of study and complete the 30-credit requirement for the MS degree with one additional year of work.
Typical Five-Year Plan (Program Curriculum)
- Complete three graduate courses (9 credits) during the senior year, which will satisfy simultaneously ME senior elective courses and MSME course requirements.
- Complete a course (3 credits) the summer following senior year.
- Take six courses during the fifth year, three courses per semester in each of the fall and spring semesters.
- A student accepted into the five-year BS/MS program is expected to finish the program without interruption.
- A total of ten graduate courses must be completed by the end of the spring semester.
- All graduate courses in this program must be taken at Villanova University.
Students interested in the BS/MS program should contact Department of Mechanical Engineering Graduate Program Advisor, Dr. Qianhong Wu.
Students formally apply to the BS/MS program in the spring semester of junior year, no later than the end of March. Application decisions are made on a rolling basis and are announced no later than the end of May of a student’s junior year, assuming timely submission of the application.
All five-year BS/MS program students are automatically considered for a limited number of tuition fellowships for the fifth year. All students who receive a tuition fellowship are expected to work for the department for 10 hours/week during the fifth year. Usually, students will teach in the department's laboratory courses or work as a grader for an assigned professor. Fellowship decisions will be made during the spring semester of the senior year.