Who is a Mentor?
A Mentor is a Villanova alumnus currently working in a business role who wants to share their knowledge with students through mentorship. Our program welcomes all Villanova alumni who ideally have 3+ years of work experience in business.
How do I join the program?
What is the commitment level?
Mentees and Mentors are encouraged to talk on a monthly basis through the mentee’s graduation. However, the commitment level ranges based on the relationship of the pair. While some pairs prefer having monthly catch ups/check ins, other pairs speak as frequently as once a week. Communication is key to the success of a mentoring relationship. Ultimately, “what you put into the relationship is what you will get out.”
Tips for maintaining a great relationship:
- Find common ground (hobbies, interests, etc.) and build on those
- Be proactive, reach out to your mentee if you haven’t heard from them recently
- Use all forms of communication
- Meet face to face if possible, this is a great relationship-builder
- Before you close your monthly conversation, set an agenda for the next meeting based specifically on what the student is working on
- Help students understand the importance of preparation for career fairs, networking events and interviews.
- Recognize your mentee’s accomplishments!