What is Flash Mentoring?
Flash Mentoring, also known as one-time mentoring, is a way for junior and senior mentees to leverage the mentor program and connect with another alumni mentor. It’s a fantastic opportunity for a student mentee to explore a role, industry, or learn more about working abroad, law school, getting an MBA, or more! Mentors can be a helpful resource to a student mentee by providing expert advice in a specific area of their interest. Whether it be by phone, email, video chat, or an in person meet up, Flash Mentoring is a powerful addition to the Mentor Program.
How do I participate?
Once you join the VSB Mentor Program, you are eligible to participate in the Flash Mentoring program during your junior and senior year.
What should I expect out of meeting?
- Expect to have a mentor who's eager to answer specific questions, so bring them!
- Expect to gain a real-world perspective on a specific question or subject.
- Expect direction and advice on breaking into a niche or field or hear the mentor's path.
- Advice on how and whom to network with for a specific industry.
- The type of skills, both soft and hard, required to break into and succeed in a specific industry or career.Unlike the regular program, these flash mentoring interactions are meant to be brief connections to give mentees
How to Prepare for a Flash Mentoring Session:
Here are some questions a mentee could ask during a flash mentoring session:
- What is a typical day like in your role?
- What additional academic training should I consider for a job in the field?
- What additional skills and abilities do I need to acquire because of their importance in the job?
- How long should I expect it to take me to move to the next step given my experience in this field?
- What companies or organizations should I target to hire me given my background and experience?
- Learn about different career paths
- Gain industry insights
- Expand VU network
- Meet alumni with shared interest
- Leverage the mentor program alumni mentors