“The best part of being a tutor is helping other students in the community succeed in their studies. Being able to help other students is part of what it means to be a Villanovan.” – Samantha Testa ‘16
VSB Peer Tutors support the academic success of their undergraduate classmates by providing drop-in office hours and the option to schedule individual tutoring appointments throughout the semester. The role of the VSB Peer tutor is to facilitate the student’s independent learning process through a collaborative partnership that focuses on increased understanding of course content and exploration of successful strategies in approaching the material. The VSB Peer Tutor Program is a free service open to all VSB undergraduate students.
Individual Tutoring Appointments – Below is a list of the courses tutored by VSB Peer Tutor Program. Please follow the link to register for a WCOnline account and schedule an individual tutoring session. Be sure to select “VSB Peer Tutors” to view the tutor availability for VSB courses. You will need to select the course for which you are seeking tutoring on the “Limit to” drop-down box in order to schedule with the appropriate tutor. Depending on tutor availability, you can schedule 30-60 minute appointments, and all appointments must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. Individual tutoring will become available on September 10.
Office Hour Schedule — view the 2018-19 VSB Peer Tutor Office Hour Schedule.
Office Hour tutoring is only available for: VSB 2004, VSB 2009, and VSB 1000-100. Office hours for VSB 1000-100 will begin September 18, 2018.
- VSB 1000-100 “Getting Started” Sessions: Please visit the VSB 1000-100 course Blackboard page for more information about special group tutoring sessions to assist you in getting started with this online course. These will be held September 4-14 of this year.
Quick Tips for a Successful Tutoring Experience:
- Identify the specific content area for which you need assistance
- Work on the problems/assignments before the office hour or individual tutoring session
- Bring assignments, books, laptop and any other materials you will need
- Turn off your phone during the session
- Develop an action plan for goals to complete between tutoring sessions
For additional university academic support and resources, click here.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Program Managers: Emily McMordie and Ellen Socket.
For any questions about the WCOnline scheduling system, please contact the Tutor Coordinator at email@example.com.
VSB Peer Tutors are student leaders with excellent academic records and are invested in helping their peers. These tutors are recruited through a selective application process and go through comprehensive, bi-annual training. Students who work with VSB Peer Tutors report improvement in their preparedness, comprehension and confidence as they approach their coursework.