Developing Service Learning Courses
The following outline is the process for Service Learning Course/Community Based Learning Course Development:
- Faculty seeks service to integrate community based experience into the syllabus allowing time for reflection and creating assignments which include the community experience. (see essentials for community based learning)
- The office of service learning will seek out a community partner whose needs relate to the course material. This office will manage transportation, paperwork and schedules for work in the community.
- Community Partners may express a need in their school or agency and the office will seek faculty whose course material is related to re design a course for service learning.
- Courses are designated SL or CBL which ever we eventually choose in the course catalogue. Students should be able to view requirements of course before they register.
- Course material is adapted to include service without compromise to academic rigor.
Note: We have tended toward 100% service placement, however we may consider optional service placement within the class in lieu of class assignment.