Under minimal supervision and with explicit instruction and training, to build and support scenic, lighting, and audio/visual elements for the productions in Vasey Theatre. Also to support department functions and improvements, studio, workshop, or outside productions associated with the Villanova Theatre and Visual Art Department.
- Loading and unloading trucks with lumber, scenery, or debris outdoors.
- Setting up a scene shop on a daily basis which includes carrying and erecting a table saw, compound mitre saw, and work tables
- Using a screw gun repetitively on the floor or over head
- Crawling under the stage in the trap room that is 18” high to run 50’ length cables or drill holes
- Erecting and dismantling a 14’ scaffold while wearing a harness.
- Climbing a 14’ scaffold and ladders to hang lights, run cable, or install scenery
- Climbing a 14’ ladder carrying a 20lb lighting fixture with the purpose of hanging it overhead to the fixed grid while wearing a harness
- Climbing a 14’ ladder repetitively, approximately 50 times in one day
- Driving a truck to the on campus dumpster to dispose of scenery
- Driving a truck to local stores to pick up supplies such as hardware or lumber
- Sweep, mop, and paint. This includes cleaning the theatre seats and lobby after build is complete.
- Two assistants per show will be assigned to do dimmer check and set check and are responsible for maintaining the current production.
- Use of personnel man lift.
- Hang and Focus lights from scaffold, ladder, extension ladder, or personnel man lift.
Table Saw, Compound Mitre Saw, Circular Saw, Router, Jig Saw, Cordless and Corded Screw guns, Sawzall, Right Angle Grinder, Band Saw, Portaband, Power Sanders, Metal Cutting Saws, Pneumatic Staple and Nail Guns
Hours per week:
- Standard work hours are Monday-Friday; 9:30am – 4:00pm with a 30 minute lunch break
- Work will on occasion begin at 9:00 and will occur on the weekends
- During technical rehearsal periods, which occur over two weekends per semester, hours are significantly increased and are up to 14 hours per day
- All assistants are required to be at strike for each show after the final performance
2 half assistantships available every academic year.
There will be an opportunity to be promoted to a full assistant in the second year.