Courses in Public Administration are appropriate for any student at Villanova interested in a career in public service -- for example, working in the government or the nonprofit sector.
- PA 1050 Public Administration: Administrative politics, law, and ethics, organizational theory and technical fields, such as budgeting, planning, and personnel.
- PA 2000 Public Policy: Theories of public policy making, national public policies, and contemporary issues.
- PA 2100 City and Suburb: Politics and problems in metropolitan areas of theUnited States.
- PA 3000 Overview of the Nonprofit Sector: Exploration and analysis of organizational opportunities and challenges facing the sector in the U.S. and abroad, as well as in-depth discussion of a range of ways to work in the nonprofit sector.
- PA 5000 Special Topics: Special topics in public administration (i.e., The Vocation of Public Service).
- PA 5100 Independent Study: Individual students with specific interests in public administration work on a tutorial basis with an appropriate professor.
- PA 6000 The Vocation of Public Service: The exploration of the concept of public service as a “vocation,” envisioning public service as a means of self-expression through which citizen-servants discover meaning and purpose in their lives by promoting the common good as well as forging and developing the bonds of community among a body of diverse people. This concept is contextualized in the “real-life” choices made by and the experiences of public servants.
- PA 6100 PSA Internship: Supervised work opportunity to explore public service professional interests and gain experience in the public or nonprofit sector.
- VIA 3020 Creating Social Impact: Today social problems are being tackled by interdisciplinary and sustainable innovations in the social impact sector. Students will become innovative problem solvers and learn by doing via class discussions and hands-on projects to discover how to make social change now and as lifelong changemakers.
Figure created by Dr. Catherine Wilson (2018)