- Identifies gender and sexuality as fundamental to the ways that men and women understand themselves
- Focuses on the position of women and men and causes us to rethink history and culture
- Examines human sexualities within their historical constructs and changing societal norms
- Analyzes the implications of gender roles in the past and present
- Considers social and cultural consequences for both women and men of gender divisions and sex-role restrictions
- Addresses the history and achievements of women
- Empowers students by developing the skills needed to reason and argue competently, thus giving them a voice and sense of identity to work for change
The Gender and Women’s Studies program generates a critical, feminist, and cross-cultural understanding of gender and power in a global context and across disciplinary boundaries. It pursues social justice by building awareness of inequalities and creating opportunities for activism. It builds a supportive community that not only advances our understanding of gender and sexuality, but also provides individuals with the means to integrate that understanding into their scholarship, professional work, and everyday lives.