Any graduate student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may apply for a summer stipend to support his/her scholarly efforts. Awards are made on a competitive basis in the amount of $3000 for work in June, July, and August.
Students in good academic standing in either a master’s or doctoral program in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are eligible. BS/MS or BA/MA students who clearly will be in the graduate portion of their degree program during the summer of support are eligible. The project should be directly related to the applicant’s completion of degree requirements (e.g., thesis or dissertation work, Independent Study or Directed Research, a capstone requirement in the program, etc). A student may receive this form of support only once. You are not eligible to apply for a fellowship in the summer following graduation.
Villanova University students cannot receive support to conduct research in countries under a Travel Warning from the U.S. Department of State. In the event that a country is placed on a travel warning after funding has been awarded, students must communicate with the Office of Graduate Studies to cancel travel arrangements and return any funds that have been awarded.
Applications are evaluated by a standing committee of graduate faculty in the College according to the following criteria:
• Feasibility of the project;
• Whether the proposed project or a significant amount of research can be completed during one summer;
• Clarity and persuasiveness of the proposal (applicants should keep in mind that the proposals will be evaluated by faculty from outside the applicant’s discipline);
• Whether the applicant plans to publish or present the results of the research;
• The importance of the project for the applicant’s completion of his or her degree.
Please complete the required Graduate Summer Research Fellowship Application Form and append the following documents to the application form:
1. Abstract (100-word abstract of the proposal)
2. Formal Proposal (Only one formal proposal will be accepted)
A three-page, double-spaced narrative description of the project. The project proposal should consist of four parts:
3. One-Page Bibliography or Reference Section of relevant supporting scholarship.
4. Appendix using figures (two-page limit).
Completed application form and required documents appended to the form must be submitted by no later than January 20. No extensions will be granted.
Applicants should ask their faculty sponsor to submit a one-page confidential evaluation electronically to the Dean of Graduate Studies, GSDean@villanova.edu, by no later than January 20. No extensions will be granted.
Decisions about the applications will be announced by mid-to-late March.
A final 2-page report on the outcome and status of the funded project must be submitted by September 15.
Please complete the Graduate Summer Research Fellowship Final Report Form and append the required 2-page report to the final report form.