Graduate Summer Research Fellowship
Any graduate student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may apply for a summer stipend to support his/her scholarly efforts. Awards are made on a competitive basis in the amount of $3000 for work in June, July, and August.
Students in good academic standing in either a master’s or doctoral program in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are eligible. BS/MS or BA/MA students who clearly will be in the graduate portion of their degree program during the summer of support are eligible. The project should be directly related to the applicant’s completion of degree requirements (e.g., thesis or dissertation work, Independent Study or Directed Research, a capstone requirement in the program, etc). A student may receive this form of support only once. You are not eligible to apply for a fellowship in the summer following graduation.
Villanova University students cannot receive support to conduct research in countries under a Travel Warning from the U.S. Department of State. In the event that a country is placed on a travel warning after funding has been awarded, students must communicate with the Office of Graduate Studies to cancel travel arrangements and return any funds that have been awarded.
Applications are evaluated by a standing committee of graduate faculty in the College according to the following criteria:
• Feasibility of the project;
• Whether the proposed project or a significant amount of research can be completed during one summer;
• Clarity and persuasiveness of the proposal (applicants should keep in mind that the proposals will be evaluated by faculty from outside the applicant’s discipline);
• Whether the applicant plans to publish or present the results of the research;
• The importance of the project for the applicant’s completion of his or her degree.
How to Apply
Please complete the required Graduate Summer Research Fellowship Application Form and append the following documents in PDF format to the application form:
1. Abstract (100-word abstract of the proposal)
2. Formal Proposal (Only one formal proposal will be accepted)
A three-page, double-spaced narrative description of the project. The project proposal should consist of four parts:
- the applicant’s name, graduate program, and project title;
- the rationale/background for the proposed work (using language directed towards a general audience of readers, not necessarily from your discipline);
- a clear description of the research plan and proposed methodology (including a timeline);
- a statement of the impact of the award on the student’s progress toward graduation.
3. One-Page Bibliography or Reference Section of relevant supporting scholarship.
4. Appendix using figures (two-page limit).
Deadline for Proposals and Review Process
Completed application form and required documents appended to the form must be submitted by no later than February 1 (regardless of which day of the week it falls). No extensions will be granted.
Faculty Evaluation of the Project
Applicants should ask their faculty sponsor to submit a confidential evaluation electronically to the Dean of Graduate Studies, GSDean@villanova.edu, by no later than February 1 (regardless of which day of the week it falls). No extensions will be granted.
Decisions about the applications will be announced by mid-to-late March.
Research Symposium - Date and Time To Be Announced
In addition to the final report, all award recipients will be required to participate in the Graduate Research Symposium in September 2020. An exact date and time is yet to be announced.
A final 2-page report on the outcome and status of the funded project must be submitted by September 15 (regardless of which day of the week it falls).
Graduate Summer Research Fellowship Final Report Form
Please complete the Graduate Summer Research Fellowship Final Report Form and append the required 2-page report to the final report form.