Recipients of the award have accomplished one or more of the following achievements:
- excellence in fulfilling and embodying the ethical ideals of a profession;
- excellence in conecting professional work to a broader understanding of the common good;
- excellence in promoting and embodying ethical integrity in a professional field;
- excellence with respect to research in the field of professional ethics;
- excellence in terms of influence on the field of professional ethics through writing, teaching, consulting and/or professional leadership.