Both competitions are open only to students taking courses at Villanova University. To be eligible, essays must have been
- written within a year preceding the deadline;
- written either for a Villanova English course (2100 level or higher) or for a Villanova Honors course (2000 level or higher) that was taught by a member of the Villanova English faculty. Work submitted for a senior Honors thesis or an M. A. thesis is not eligible.
- In addition to their essay, students should include a cover page including the course and professor for which the paper was written, as well as their local address, email, and telephone number.
- Students should also submit the essay assignment or an approximation of the assignment.
- Essays should be formatted in Times New Roman 12 (or equivalent font) and double-spaced. Undergraduate essays are limited to 12 pages.
- Only one submission per student is allowed.
- Judges are looking for argumentative originality and rigor, elegance of writing, and interpretive incisiveness. Winning papers tend to engage sources in addition to the primary text.
The deadline for submissions for 2019 is April 12. E-mail submissions via attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.