This new program combines the traditional, scholarly, literature-focused curriculum of the M.A. in English with a certificate designed to facilitate a career in such professional fields as public relations, marketing, university administration, electronic publishing, and other areas in which their cultural knowledge and advanced writing skills are in demand. The Certificate in Communication will provide you with a unique opportunity to develop expertise in one of these professional areas while completing your English degree. The combined program requires 36 credits (24 credits in English, and 12 credits in Communication) to earn both a Masters degree and a Certificate in any one of field areas of Communication:
- Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies
- Journalism and New Media
- Mediated Communication
- Organizational Communication and Leadership
- Public Relations and Advertising;
In addition to the traditional English curriculum you will take
- ENG 8000: Literary Theory
and four courses from Villanova’s Communication Program:
- COM 8100: Strategic Communication Theory
- Three electives in Communication, chosen from lists of courses designated for each certificate program.
All Communication certificate students will be individually advised by the English Graduate Director.
The Communication certificate program's unique combination of English and Communication expertise can position you for a number of exciting career options.