Dr. Robert Styer is the advisor for the Comprehensive Science Program. If you would like to discuss entering the Comprehensive Science Program, or course selection, please feel free to make an appointment. You can call or email Dr. Styer directly at 610-519-4845 or the department's Administrative Assistant, Tori Morgan, at 610-519-4860 to make an appointment.

You can find Villanova's Course Catalog on the Registrar's Website.

If you are interested in a Health Care Profession please check out the Health Profession Advising Page. In particular, sign up with them to access many resources, especially their Health Professions Advising Guide. 

Frequently Asked Advising Questions

Why do the CHM 1103 labs say they only allow 2 students? Why do several sections of CHM 1151 say they are full with zero out of zero students.

Many incoming freshmen take CHM 1151/1103 and the registrar must block-schedule the incoming students, so the slots are reserved for the incoming freshmen.  By late July, these students are registered, and there are usually some unused slots that open up first-come first-served.

Back to Top

I want to take one of these courses: BIO 1205 Anatomy and Physiology I BIO 2106 Anatomy and Physiology II NUR 3030 Pharmacology NUR 3108 Pathophysiology NTR 2120 Nutrition but the computer will not allow me to register. What is the problem?

These courses are reserved for Nursing students, but after the nurses register, BSC majors may sign up. Generally, there are slots left after the nurses register. 

Back to Top

I think I want to take a summer course. How do I sign up?

If you are taking a course from Villanova (either here or by distance learning), your advisor can give you a summer registration pin.   If you wish to take a course at another college, you should fill out the “Courses at Another Institution” form available on the OUS website (  Take the form along with a copy of the course description to the chair of the department who offers a similar course to approve the course (for example, if you wish to take organic chemistry elsewhere, you need to go to the chemistry department to approve the organic chemistry course), then drop it by my office for a signature (that says the course is needed for your program), then finally, drop it off at the OUS office who approves the college (which must be a regular accredited four year college with a few other restrictions).  After you take the course, you send a copy of the transcript to the OUS office. 

Back to Top

I see the BIO 2105 course (or the BIO 2106) but not the lab course number. How do I sign up for the lab?

Unlike chemistry and physics, Biology does not have separate course numbers for the labs.  Instead, the lab has the same BIO 2105 course number, but has an L in the section number.  So for instance, you might sign up for the lecture section BIO 2105-002 and for the lab section BIO 2105-L06.

Back to Top

Classes such as Women in the Bible count as a Diversity 2 and as an upper theology; Archaeology of the Bible counts as a fine arts and as an upper level theology. If I were to take either class, will it fulfill both of those requirements?

This is a complicated question.  Categories such as Fine Arts, Theology, or Social Science are course requirements, and a course can only satisfy one course category.  So a course can be either fine arts or theology, but cannot fill both slots simultaneously. 

On the other hand, diversity is an “attribute” not a course category.  You need two classes with different Diversity attributes, but a Diversity attribute course can also fill the Theology, Fine Arts, or Social Science slot. 

Back to Top

Do I need to take the Sophomore Writing Seminar (ENG 1975) in my sophomore year?

You do not need to take it sophomore year;  you can take it any semester. 

Back to Top

I need to get into a closed section; what do I do?

Only the chair of the department with the closed course can override the course enrollment limit. Contact the Administrative Assistant of the department to see what their proceedures are to get written into a closed section. You can always ask the chair if you can get into a closed course, however the chair might not allow it because of the physical classroom, or the lab equipment, or other reason.  In that case, talk with your advisor to see if you can take the course a different semester, or if you can change the rest of your schedule to fit an open section into your schedule.     

Back to Top

What history courses should I take for the core History?

Any history course that is designated “Core History” will fulfill the core history requirement.  The course number is not relevant, though they are often the lowest numbered courses; make sure the Master Schedule lists “Core History” as a course attribute. 

Back to Top

What courses count as BSC Science Electives?

Most BSC Science elective courses are the regular science major courses:

AST 2120 or higher
BIO 2200 or higher
CHM 2200 or higher
CSC courses that are approved for the computer science major
GEV courses that are approved as Science courses by that department
MAT 2300 or higher
PHY 2414 or higher.

Please note that MSE courses are only for liberal arts students and do not count as BSC science electives. 

In addition to these, there are some courses outside the traditional science departments that can fulfill the science elective, such as PSY 2800 and PSY 3300.  Ask Dr. Styer for a complete list. 

Back to Top