WFI News and Upcoming Events:
- The WFI is sponsoring the North American premiere of an exhibition, "World Conflict Photography." Experience the work of award-winning journalists covering conflicts worldwide. The exhibition opening events are on February 3, and the exhibition will run from Feb 3-9. For more information and the full schedule of events, click here...
- The WFI will be sponsoring a poetry performance and workshop with nationally and internationally acclaimed slam poet, Ed Mabrey! The events will take place on April 13 & 14. Keep checking back for details later as we announce them--this will be a fantastic series of events! Click here for more detail on Ed Mabrey & his work!
- APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018-19 WFI RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAM ARE NOW LIVE--APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MAY 7, 2018. Click here for more details on the program. Click here to start your application!
- ANNOUNCING OUR 2017-18 WFI STUDENT GRANT AWARDEE: JAZMIN GOODWIN, HOWARD UNIVERSITY. Jazmin's grant-winning project is entitled: "COZY GIRLZ: Curating Cozy Connections, Conversations, and Community for Women in Male-Dominated Industries." More details...
- ANNOUNCING OUR 2017-2018 WFI RESEARCH GRANTS RECIPIENTS! In 2017-18, the WFI awarded nearly $60,000 to faculty and doctoral-level scholars across the globe. Further, these scholars and their projects were an outstanding group; our acceptance rate for this year's grant program was only 17%. Please join us in congratulating this year's recipients. Interested in the WFI Research Grant Program, or learning more about this year's (or past years') recipients? More details...
- The WFI contributed to the National Communication Association's new publication on scholarship and activism, "Communication's Civic Callings"--check it out and download the PDF!
- The WFI helped the National Communication Association unite scholarship and social justice through major events in 2016 and 2017! In 2017, the WFI sponsored "Lyrical Justice," a spotlight poetry slam engaging vital issues of social justice--and was a major success. In 2016, the WFI helped NCA connect scholarship and activism through the Social Justice Exchange. This spotlight event was part of the unique programming for NCA's 102nd conference: Communication's Civic Callings!
- Our 2017 WFI Symposium: The Just Transition Conference: Communicating Power in an Age of Climactic Change was a great success! A series of events focused on climate change, environmental racism, and the work toward a just transition. For more details, and photos from the event, visit us on Facebook!
- Two WFI-funded Social Justice Documentaries chosen as finalists for the Student Academy Awards