The Communication Department at Villanova has a cutting-edge undergraduate major curriculum, which (reflecting our Department's mission) integrates the theory, research, and practice of communication.
Major In Communication
Please note these changes are effective for the class of 2020 and beyond
In order to declare the COM major, you must:
- Have a minimum VU GPA of 2.5 or above;
- Have enrolled in OR completed both of the following: COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies and COM 1100 - Public Speaking
- Fill out the major declaration form, which is available in the Communication Department office (Room 28, Garey Hall). Please note, if you use the form available online, we will ask you for additional information when you drop it by our office--but it will only take a couple of minutes.
Basic requirements for a Communication major:
36 credit hours, as follows:
- Two introductory courses:
COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies
COM 1100 - Public Speaking
- Two theory-level courses (2000-level).
Note: These courses serve as prerequisites for our advanced topics courses--so you must take at least one of these PRIOR to taking a 3000-level course!
- Six advanced topics courses (3000-level), from at least three (3) specializations within the Department.
- One advanced research course, either
COM 4001 - Qualitative Research in COM or COM 4002 - Quantitative Research in COM Note: This course will also serve as your A&S sophomore research seminar.
- One integrative, capstone course: COM 3464 for students specializing in Public Relations, COM 5050 Senior Project for all other majors. The research methods course is a pre-requisite for taking the capstone.