The Communication Department at Villanova has a cutting-edge undergraduate major curriculum, which (reflecting our Department's mission) integrates the theory, research, and practice of communication.
Major In Communication
Please note these changes are effective for the class of 2020 and beyond
In order to declare the COM major, you must:
- Have enrolled in OR completed both of the following: COM 1000 - Survey of Communication Studies and COM 1100 - Public Speaking
- Fill out the major declaration form on your MyNova portal by searching “Application to Change/Declare/Drop Major”
Basic requirements for a Communication major:
36 credit hours, as follows:
- Two introductory courses:
COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies
COM 1100 - Public Speaking
- Two theory-level courses (2000-level).
Note: These courses serve as prerequisites for our advanced topics courses--so you must take at least one of these PRIOR to taking a 3000-level course!
- Six advanced topics courses (3000-level), from at least three (3) specializations within the Department.
- One advanced research course, either
COM 4001 - Qualitative Research in COM or COM 4002 - Quantitative Research in COM Note: This course will also serve as your A&S sophomore research seminar.
- One integrative, capstone course: COM 5464 for students specializing in Public Relations, COM 5050 Senior Project for all other majors. The research methods course is a pre-requisite for taking the capstone.