- 10 courses: Literature courses (including 2 literature surveys) and culture courses
- Classical Language Translation Exam: Prose and poetry (choice of passages) [for Greek/Latin or Latin tracks]
- Classical Literature Essay Exam: Essays on Greek and Latin literature [for Classical Culture track]
- Modern Language Exam (optional): Excerpts of classical scholarship in French, German, or Italian (dictionary allowed; choice of passages)
- Research Portfolio: (1) two literature survey papers, (2) special topic paper [papers written in conjunction with courses]
Master of Arts in Classical Studies
The M.A. in Classical Studies at Villanova University offers three possible tracks:
- Classical Culture
All courses are held once a week in the evenings (5:20 p.m. EST or later). Courses may be offered in a fully online format or in a hybrid format (the professor and on-campus students in a classroom and online students participating via the internet).
The M.A. Program in Classical Studies awards a limited number of tuition scholarships and one graduate assistantship each year to full-time on campus students who plan to begin their study in a fall semester. To be considered for one of these scholarships or the assistantship, applicants must complete their application by February 1 and notify Dr. Valentina DeNardis, Director of Classical Studies, of their interest in the scholarship or assistantship.
Click here for general information about financing your Villanova education. Specific information on the Presidential Graduate Fellowship for Underrepresented Students can be found here. Information on a number of graduate assistantships offered by various programs at the University can be found here.
Please notify Dr. Valentina DeNardis, Director of Classical Studies, of your interest in applying for one of these other funding opportunities.
Tuition for the 2019-2020 academic year is $2,385 per course. Tuition reductions (20-40%) are available for educators (teachers or administrators at primary or secondary schools). Please click here for details. 40% discount for educators at Catholic schools = $1,431 per course; 20% discount for educators at non-Catholic schools = $1,908 per course.