Frank Klassner, Director
Center of Excellence in Enterprise Technology
800 East Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085
Virtual Reality Competition
Villanova University VR Competition
The Villanova University VR Competition (VUVR) is open to students, staff, and faculty of Villanova University. Its goal is to help the Villanova community explore virtual reality and augmented reality as a medium for compelling interactive experiences that educate.
- Teams. There is no limit for team size. All team members must be affiliated with Villanova University and must include at least one student. The competition will only run if a minimum of four teams have registered.
- Platforms. The competition will accept submissions that are viewable in head-mounted displays, the Villanova CAVE, or mobile devices.
- Software. The competition is ready to accept submissions designed for playback in Vizard, Unity, KRpano/HTML5, iOS, and Android. Other software platforms will be considered as teams suggest them.
- Content. Teams may use models/libraries from online sources as long as they are properly attributed and used in accordance with suppliers’ licenses. Note that the licenses must allow for free unlimited public display (see #6). Submissions can take any form and any subject, so long as they exclusively use VR or augmented reality to shape the presentation. Some examples include games, short tours of environments, mathematical visualizations, scientific visualizations, and interactive social media presentations, but this list is not intended to restrict teams’ imaginations.
- Judging. Teams can expect to have their submissions judged according to several criteria, with emphasis on the following:
- How well does the presentation teach or convey knowledge?
- How well does the presentation make use of immersion?
- How intuitive is the user interface?
- How interactive is the overall experience?
- Prizes. Grand prize is $1,000,
Competition Schedule for 2021
Monday March 1, 2021 11:59:59pm : Registration Deadline
Registration Deadline: Teams will register their Members and Leader, submit a title and 1-paragraph description of their project, and indicate their expected development platform. Register Your Team Here
Friday, March 5, 2021 3:30-5:30 pm : Virtual Workshop
Workshop on the design of VR experiences and the content development technologies available at Villanova will be held virtually.
Monday, April 12, 2021 by 11:59 pm : Deadline to Submit Semifinal
Semifinal Round Deadline: Each team must send a link to a YouTube video to email@example.com. The video is to be a report describing the stat of the project thus far. Teams that pass this round will compete in the final round in April
Thursday, April 29, 2021, 2:00-5:00pm : Final Round
Each finalist team will make an 8-minute presentation on their project, followed by a 15-minute period during which judges can interact with the project and ask questions of the team.