The primary goals of the Bachelor of Science in Biology program at Villanova University are to promote the development of the student's:
- understanding of biological patterns and processes from the subcellular to the ecosystem levels,
- facility to communicate ideas in the language of science through intensive writing and oral presentation, and
- ability to apply the scientific method through experimentation and deductive reasoning.
In addition to traditional classroom lectures and discussion, the program in biology provides intellectual experiences in a diversity of formats such as: laboratory and field study, seminar, and research. Each experience provides the student the opportunity to develop skills in analysis, synthesis, and quantitative reasoning that have broad application in hypothesis testing, critical thinking, and interpretation.
The Department of Biology values a multicultural student body taught by a diverse faculty committed to teaching, scholarship, and service that promotes the exchange of different ideas and perspectives and provides mentorship roles in the University community. A faculty advisor guides the student toward achieving his or her goals throughout the four years at Villanova and beyond. The program promotes the skills and spirit of inquiry necessary for life-long learning. The field of biology provides many career choices. Through required curricular elements in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics, and advanced biology electives, Villanova's program provides a foundation for graduate study in the biological sciences, health professions, law, education, or business, or a basis for employment in the fields of applied biology, biological research, environmental and health sciences, or teaching.
Student learning goals for our majors:
- To provide graduates with an in depth understanding of fundamental principles in the life sciences.
- To provide graduates with skills and spirit of inquiry necessary for life-long learning.
- To provide students with an understanding that “science is a way of knowing”.
- To provide students with a strong science education that is understood in the context of a liberal arts education and that is relevant to the exploration, selection, and success in different career paths.