Application Process for Undergraduate International Students

Admission Overview for Undergraduate International Students

Villanova is home to students from all around the world, where more than sixty different countries are represented at the undergraduate level. Additionally, over eighteen percent of our graduate students come to our community from abroad. An "international student" is one that is not a United States citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) and requires a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the United States. U.S. citizens and permanent residents residing abroad will be reviewed by the international admission staff.

First-year students are required to submit the following:

  • Official secondary school academic records (with official English translation) and letters of recommendation.
  • Application fee of $80. Please be aware that if you use Flywire to pay your fee, it will take a few days for us to update the checklist on the Villanova applicant status page.
  • Standardized test scores (SAT and/or ACT). The writing section for either test is not required.  Villanova offers you the option to self-report your SAT and/or ACT scores in the testing section of the Common Application. Should you choose, you may also have your official scores sent to Villanova, but this is not necessary for your application to be reviewed. If you are admitted and choose to enroll, we will require that the official scores be sent directly from the College Board and/or ACT. Any misrepresentation of these scores will result in the denial or recession of admission.
  • Proof of English language proficiency. English language proficiency can be demonstrated by submitting official test results directly from:
    • TOEFL: Applicants must score at least 577 on the paper-based test, 233 on the computer-based test, or 90 on the internet-based test, in order to be considered for admission (self-reported scores will NOT be accepted).
    • IELTS: Applicants must score at least 6.5 in order to be considered for admission (self-reported scores will NOT be accepted).
  • If you meet one or more of the following criteria, you may request a waiver of the English proficiency examination requirement (IELTS, TOEFL) by submitting the form on your applicant status page.
    • You are a native speaker of English in your home environment.
    • You score a 620 on the SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing subsection or a 27 on the ACT Reading subsection.
    • You completed three or more years of secondary education at an American or International School where English is the primary language of instruction.
Admission for first-year international students is need-aware, which means your family’s ability to pay for your education may be a factor in your admission decision. The Certification of Finances Form and bank letter can be submitted through your Applicant Status Page after you submit your Common Application. These documents must be submitted at that time in order for your application to be considered complete.

International transfer students are required to submit the following:

  • Common Application OR Villanova Transfer Application including essay and application fee
  • Secondary school academic records (official English translation required).
  • Transfer College Report form from the Common Application
  • University academic records (official English translation required).
  • Standardized test scores (SAT and/or ACT).  The writing section for either test is not required.
  • Non-native English speakers must also submit official test scores (TOEFL or IELTS)

It is important to note that Villanova does not offer need-based financial assistance for transfer international students.

All documents submitted must be official and in the original language. An official copy is one that bears the original signature of the Registrar or other designated school official, an original impression of the institution's seal and/or the signature or seal of the examining board. In certain cases, "certified" or "notarized" copies may be submitted.

Documents not in English must be accompanied by an official translation in order to be reviewed.

Secondary School Records

Secondary school records are required for all first-year and transfer applicants. Transcripts of course work and grades/marks are required for the equivalent of secondary school study. Records should list subjects studied each year and the mark or grade of proficiency earned in each. A key to the marking system with minimum passing mark should be included. If you complete secondary school in a country where a national secondary school leaving examination is administered, you will be required to provide the official results of the examination or predicted marks if the exams have not yet been administered.

You must submit the Certification of Finances Form (found in your Applicant Status Page) and bank letter at the time of admission consideration.  The Form I-20, which is required by the Department of Homeland Security, is issued to admitted and enrolled students so they may apply for the F-1 visa.

Be sure your name on your application matches your name on your secondary school records.

Additional Information:

Villanova University does not provide admission interviews to applicants. However, if you have completed an interview with an outside interview service such as InitialView or Vericant, you may request that your interview be sent to Villanova to be considered with your application.

Apply Now!

Common Application

Villanova University is a member of the Common Application. Click here to start your application! 

Villanova Worldwide

Each year, Villanova University travels around the world meeting with prospective students and their families. This may be done through high school visits, university fairs or at advising centers.

Helpful Facts

First-year undergraduate international students are eligible to be considered for limited need-based aid, merit based scholarships, and athletic scholarships. Students may also apply for loans and participate in the University's tuition payment plan. For more information, please visit the Financial Assistance website.