UNIVERSITY WIDE COVID-19 TESTING AND CONTACT TRACING PROGRAM
Villanova University has a COVID-19 surveillance testing and contact tracing program as part of our ongoing efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our campus community.
Beginning the week of May 3, Villanova will offer optional end-of-semester surveillance testing for students interested in being tested before participating in Commencement activities or traveling home. Appointments will be available May 3-7 and 10-12.
Any student who chooses to participate in voluntary surveillance testing and tests positive for COVID-19 will be required to isolate in accordance with CDC and Villanova University guidelines. Additionally, anyone identified as a close contact of a positive case will be required to quarantine for 14 days, unless they have been fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days.
Mandatory random surveillance testing for students will conclude for the semester on Friday, April 30. Surveillance testing for faculty and staff will conclude for the semester on Monday, May 3.
Information regarding surveillance testing for the Fall 2021 semester will be released in the coming months.
The Student Health Center (SHC) provides rapid point-of-care testing for symptomatic individuals. Students who are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms must first call the SHC at 610-519-4070.
The University implemented a COVID-19 contact tracing program in an effort to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our campus community. The program consists of a team of contact tracers who operate out of the Student Health Center and in partnership with the Office of Human Resources and the colleges.
FOR COVID-19 POSITIVE STUDENTS
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 will have an intake assessment conducted by the VU Contact Tracing Team. This intake assessment will include education and instructions for a 10-day isolation. Students living within a 300-mile radius of campus will be expected to isolate at home.
- Students unable to travel home will be isolated away from the campus community in a designated area for 10 days.
- During their isolation, students should follow the isolation guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- Students in University-designated isolation locations will be assessed and monitored for symptoms of COVID-19 daily by the Student Health Center staff.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will identify Villanova close contacts of the infected individual.
- The COVID-19 positive student will remain in isolation for 10 days. At the end of the 10-day isolation period, the VU Contact Tracing Team will contact the student to review their health status and determine their eligibility to return to campus.
FOR STUDENTS EXPOSED TO COVID-19*
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will notify close contacts of their exposure to a confirmed positive COVID-19 individual. The identity of the COVID-infected individual will remain confidential.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will arrange diagnostic testing for students who are close contacts of an infected individual.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will educate and instruct the close contact on the 14-day quarantine. Those who are within a 300-mile radius will be expected to return home. Students whose primary residence is greater than 300 miles from campus will be placed in a designated Villanova quarantine location.
- During their quarantine period, students should follow the quarantine guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- Students in University-designated quarantine locations will be required to complete a daily survey to check on their health status and well-being.
- At the end of the 14-day quarantine, the VU Contact Tracing Team will contact the student, review the student’s health status and determine their eligibility to return to campus.
FOR COVID-19 POSITIVE FACULTY AND STAFF
- Faculty and staff who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 should contact their primary care providers for medical advice.
- Faculty and staff should notify their immediate supervisor.
- Faculty and staff members who are positive for COVID-19 should notify the VU Contact Tracing Team at 484-432-7950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance on their 10-day isolation.
- During their isolation, faculty and staff should follow the isolation guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- Faculty or staff members who are not able to return to work following the 10-day isolation must provide a doctor's note to Human Resources.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will identify members of the Villanova community on campus who are considered close contacts.
FOR FACULTY AND STAFF MEMBERS EXPOSED TO COVID-19
- Faculty and staff who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 should contact the VU Contact Tracing Team at 484-432-7950 or email email@example.com for further guidance on their 14-day quarantine.
- Faculty and staff who are quarantined must notify their immediate supervisor.
- During their quarantine period, faculty and staff should follow the quarantine guidelines set forth by the CDC.
*PLEASE NOTE: Students identified as close contacts, who meet all of the following criteria: 1) fully vaccinated 2) asymptomatic and 3) test negative for COVID-19, will not need to quarantine. A person is considered “fully vaccinated” if they are two weeks past the SECOND DOSE of a two-shot series, such as Moderna or Pfizer, or are two weeks post-vaccination of the one-shot series, such as the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. In addition, students identified as close contacts who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 90 days are not required to quarantine.