UNIVERSITY WIDE COVID-19 TESTING AND CONTACT TRACING PROGRAM
Villanova University has a COVID-19 surveillance testing and contact tracing program as part of our ongoing efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our campus community.
The University launched a COVID-19 surveillance testing program in the fall of 2020 as part of our ongoing efforts to mitigate the spread of the virus. We will resume surveillance testing on Monday, February 1, continuing through the end of the semester.
Villanova students, faculty and staff who are selected for the program will receive an email requiring them to sign up and register for a test. Instructions regarding what to do prior to—and the day of—the test are contained in the email.
Participation is required. Participants include students currently living on campus or taking an in-person class, as well as faculty and staff reporting to work on campus. Surveillance testing is done at random; you may be selected more than once and must report each time you are selected.
Testing is being administered in the lobby of the Finneran Pavilion between 7:30-11 a.m., Monday through Friday, and participants will be notified of results within 24 hours.
Exemptions to the surveillance testing are rarely granted; however, there is an exemption form in the participant email.
The Student Health Center (SHC) provides rapid point-of-care testing for symptomatic individuals. Students who are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms must first call the SHC at 610-519-4070.
The University implemented a COVID-19 contact tracing program in an effort to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in our campus community. The program consists of a team of contact tracers who operate out of the Student Health Center and in partnership with the Office of Human Resources and the colleges.
VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY CONTACT TRACING TEAM
The mission of the Villanova University (VU) Contact Tracing Team is to promptly communicate with patients who are diagnosed with COVID-19, and rapidly identify and communicate with their close contacts in our campus community.
The VU Contact Tracing Team is a resource for all members of our community, providing health education and guidance to minimize the spread of the virus. They are guided by protocols to obtain symptom history and relevant health information of affected individuals.
FOR COVID-19 POSITIVE STUDENTS
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 will have an intake assessment conducted by the VU Contact Tracing Team. This intake assessment will include education and instructions for a 10-day isolation. Students living within a 300-mile radius of campus will be expected to isolate at home.
- Students unable to travel home will be isolated away from the campus community in a designated area for 10 days.
- During their isolation, students should follow the isolation guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- Students in University-designated isolation locations will be assessed and monitored for symptoms of COVID-19 daily by the Student Health Center staff.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will identify Villanova close contacts of the infected individual.
- The COVID-19 positive student will remain in isolation for 10 days. At the end of the 10-day isolation period, the VU Contact Tracing Team will contact the student to review their health status and determine their eligibility to return to campus.
FOR STUDENTS EXPOSED TO COVID-19
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will notify close contacts of their exposure to a confirmed positive COVID-19 individual. The identity of the COVID-infected individual will remain confidential.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will arrange diagnostic testing for students who are close contacts of an infected individual.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will educate and instruct the close contact on the 14-day quarantine. Those who are within a 300-mile radius will be expected to return home. Students whose primary residence is greater than 300 miles from campus will be placed in a designated Villanova quarantine location.
- During their quarantine period, students should follow the quarantine guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- Students in University-designated quarantine locations will be required to complete a daily survey to check on their health status and well-being.
- At the end of the 14-day quarantine, the VU Contact Tracing Team will contact the student, review the student’s health status and determine their eligibility to return to campus.
FOR COVID-19 POSITIVE FACULTY AND STAFF
- Faculty and staff who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 should contact their primary care providers for medical advice.
- Faculty and staff should notify their immediate supervisor.
- Faculty and staff members who are positive for COVID-19 should notify the VU Contact Tracing Team at 484-432-7950 or email email@example.com for further guidance on their 10-day isolation.
- During their isolation, faculty and staff should follow the isolation guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- Faculty or staff members who are not able to return to work following the 10-day isolation must provide a doctor's note to Human Resources.
- The VU Contact Tracing Team will identify members of the Villanova community on campus who are considered close contacts.
FOR FACULTY AND STAFF MEMBERS EXPOSED TO COVID-19
- Faculty and staff who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 should contact the VU Contact Tracing Team at 484-432-7950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance on their 14-day quarantine.
- Faculty and staff who are quarantined must notify their immediate supervisor.
- During their quarantine period, faculty and staff should follow the quarantine guidelines set forth by the CDC.