Villanova currently plans to begin the fall semester on Monday, August 17. Courses will be offered in person, and in hybrid and online formats. Students who do not have an approved accommodation through the University may still take all courses 100% online depending on availability.
Academic Spaces and Scheduling
Classroom and Schedule Policies
Students and instructors are required to wear masks in classrooms, labs and studios.
All spaces previously identified as non-instructional (athletic facilities, conference rooms, assembly rooms, etc.) were considered for classroom usage; several of these spaces will be scheduled by the Registrar for the Fall and augmented with audiovisual (A/V) capabilities.
This was done in the interest of maximizing instructional space to reduce classroom density as much as possible. Many existing classrooms will be upgraded with AV and Zoom-streaming equipment to optimize instruction and allow remote attendance.
Each room for instruction—all existing classrooms and additional spaces that were selected for use as classrooms—was evaluated for social distancing options. Social distancing of six feet will be maintained whenever possible through a mixture of furniture removal/rearrangement, signage, and floor markings.
The University class schedule has been modified to allow for 20 minutes between classes to facilitate cleaning and social distancing. Each student will be provided with a portable chair to facilitate moving classes outside when feasible.
Graduate-level classrooms are being provided at the Inn at Villanova, the Charles Widger School of Law, and other off-campus locations in order to minimize contact between graduate students, who frequently interact with the greater community outside of Villanova, and undergraduate students.
Hand sanitizer stations have been provided in all classrooms. Students, faculty, and staff are instructed to clean their classroom areas and workspaces before and after use with provided cleaning supplies.
Quiet study space is a priority in the space planning for the Fall 2020 semester. A listing of extended hours for late-night study spaces and locations of accessible study areas will be communicated before the fall semester. Additionally, open-air tents, with lighting, will be erected throughout campus to accommodate student needs. View the Tent Locations, Guidelines and instructions on how to reserve.
Teaching and Learning
CLASS MODIFICATIONS AND ADJUSTMENTS
Villanova convened a Fall 2020 Planning Committee of faculty and administrators to develop various scenarios to guide planning efforts for instruction for the upcoming academic year. The plan is based primarily on in-person instruction; however, this can be accomplished through the use and mix of several modalities within our classrooms and laboratories:
- On-campus (fully live) in-person courses in socially distanced classrooms
- Simulcast courses – combination of students participating in person, in the classroom with a faculty member and those participating via live stream from any location with an internet connection
- Hybrid/Flipped courses – combination of in-person and online coursework. This can take on varying forms, but may include splitting students in two or three groups that alternate classroom attendance while the rest of the content is delivered asynchronously via the online learning management system
- Online instruction, reflecting best practices in online course design, including synchronous and/or asynchronous interactive experiences
The University will schedule some portion of undergraduate courses 100 percent online, which will free up classrooms to help meet social distancing goals, reduce density in our academic buildings, and provide sufficient options for faculty and staff who may have accommodations limiting in-person instruction.
OFF-CAMPUS CLINICAL OR PRACTICUM ACTIVITY
Any off-campus clinical or practicum activity may continue if social distancing guidelines are in place, and if there is adherence to any specific site, governmental or institutional restrictions.
LABORATORY AND RESEARCH WORK
Specific criteria have been developed for faculty, staff and students working in laboratory and research environments. These criteria can be found in the Returning to Campus Research Plan.
Absences from class because of COVID-19 illness, quarantine, or self-isolation will be excused, and the student will be permitted to make up the work without academic penalty. All course materials must follow accessibility standards, and faculty are required to make key instructional materials available to students who cannot attend in-person or online classes due to an excused absence. This may include recorded Zoom sessions, recorded video with summary of key information/concepts, comprehensive slides/handouts and instructional materials to supplement the above.
Unfortunately, given the continued uncertainty around health concerns, anticipated travel restrictions, changes to overseas academic programs, and unanticipated lockdowns that could be imposed quickly, Villanova University has made the difficult decision to suspend the approval for undergraduate student participation in Fall 2020 semester study abroad programs. The Office of Education Abroad is available to students via email or virtual appointments. More information can be found on the Education Abroad website.
The Villanova Institute for Teaching and Learning continues to be available to consult with faculty and lend support during this time.
Falvey Memorial Library will adjust services and functions as needed to accommodate health and safety guidelines. The Friends of Villanova and Courtesy Card Programs are temporarily suspended. Information will continue to be updated on the library website.
Offices and Centers
There are a variety of offices and centers on campus that offer academic resources for students. Each center will be updating the information on how they deliver their services for the Fall semester. Please continue to check their websites and reach out to their staff.
- Falvey Library Research and Information Assistance
- Writing Center
- Math Learning Resource Center
- Center for Access, Success and Achievement
- Learning Support Services
- Tutoring Services
- Center for Research and Fellowships
- Career Center
- Academic Support for Athletes
- Office of Education Abroad
- College of Engineering Academic Support
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Office for Undergraduate Students
- Fitzpatrick College of Nursing Support Services
- VSB Clay Center
- College of Professional Studies Support Services
- Charles Widger School of Law Office of Academic Success
- Fitzpatrick College of Nursing Graduate Programs
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Graduate Studies
- VSB Graduate Programs
- College of Engineering Graduate Programs