Villanova Law Moot Court Board Succeeds in Virtual Competitions
This semester, members of Villanova Law’s Moot Court Board have found success in various National Appellate Advocacy Competitions held virtually against teams from law schools across the country. Each team was comprised of two students from the Moot Court Board, the principal oral advocacy organization at Villanova Law which aims to enhance and showcase students’ courtroom advocacy skills.
In each competition, students analyze and argue a cutting-edge legal issue in the context of a hypothetical case, from both the side of the plaintiff and the side of the defendant. Students use procedures modeled after those employed in state and federal appellate courts.
The Board’s recent successes include:
- Michael Markus '21 & Fernanda Sandoval '21: Semifinalists at the 2021 Bryant-Moore National Civil Rights Moot Court Competition hosted by Howard University School of Law, coached by Alice Douglas '21 and Ashley Lynam '11, Partner at Montgomery McCracken Walker & Rhoads LLP.
- Andrew Bandini '22 & Caroline Rini '22: Quarterfinalists at the 2021 National Child Welfare and Adoption Law Competition hosted by Capital University School of Law, coached by Andrew Girman '21 and Kristine Calalang '04, Principal at the Law Office of Kristine L. Calalang. In addition, Rini was ranked Ninth Best Preliminary Round Oralist and Bandini was ranked Twelfth Best Preliminary Round Oralist out of 63 competitors.
- Charlie Burrows '21 & Keith Lee '21: Quarterfinalists at the 2021 Wagner National Employment and Labor Law Moot Court Competition hosted by New York Law School, coached by Fernanda Sandoval '21 and Matthew Fontana '10, Associate at Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP. In addition, Burrows and Lee’s appellate brief ranked sixth out of the 39 teams.
- CC Carreras '21 & Karina Norwood '21: Quarterfinalists at the 2021 Rendigs National Products Liability Competition hosted by University of Cincinnati Law School, coached by Gabriel Wertz '21 and Mike Daly '10, Partner at Pogust Millrood, LLC.
- Meghan Rafter '21 & Gabriel Wertz '21: Quarterfinalists at the 2021 National Law and Religion Moot Court Competition hosted by Touro Law School, coached by Karina Norwood '21 and Evan Holland '17 of Marshall Dennehey.
- Tasha Stoltzfus Nankerville '22 & Taylor Tyson '22: Quarterfinalists and second best brief at the 2021 National Law and Religion Moot Court Competition hosted by Touro Law School, coached by Alice Douglas '21 and Evan Holland '17 of Marshall Dennehey.
- Alice Douglas '21 & Mary Haggerty '21: Octofinalist at the 2021 Prince Memorial National Evidence Moot Court Competition hosted by Brooklyn Law School
- Seth Ford '22 & Sierra Stockley '22: Octofinalists at the 2021 Immigration Law Competition hosted by New York University School of Law, coached by Keith Lee '21, Audrey Allen, Esq. and Charles Green, Esq. of Audrey Allen Immigration Law, LLC.
Keith Lee '21 & Charlie Burrows '21
Keith Lee '21, Charlie Burrows '21 & Fernanda Sandoval '21
Sierra Stockley '22 & Seth Ford '22 competing virtually