Pre-Departure Student Requirements
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required. Some programs may require a higher average.
- All undergraduate majors are eligible.
- Full-time status and Sophomore, Junior, or First semester Senior standing is required. Second semester seniors may apply with special permission.
- Students may not apply or participate in study abroad while on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Transfer students must have completed three semesters at Villanova prior to participating in a semester long overseas program.
- All Prior Approval Forms must be completed and returned to the OIS by the fall break deadline (for spring study abroad) or the spring break deadline (for non-VU summer and fall study abroad)
Program Requirements While Overseas
- Full time study is required while you are overseas, for a semester abroad, this includes the following:
- A minimum of four courses in an English-speaking country
- A minimum of five courses in a Non-English-speaking country (one MUST be in the host language)
- Participation in a full time internship plus three courses
- Participation in a full time service learning, directed research, or field work plus three courses.
- To ensure appropriate transfer of credit, all students must confirm their finalized course schedule with the Office of International Studies once registration at the overseas institution is complete. Students should simply send their OIS advisor and email which lists the course names and numbers that they have enrolled in for the semester.
- If a student enrolls in a course that is not listed on their Prior Approval Form, they must obtain the appropriate department chair’s approval via email prior to continuing in the class.
- All students must submit their overseas contact information including mailing address and phone number to the Office of International Studies once on-site overseas orientation is complete.
- Students are not allowed to take distance-learning courses while studying overseas.
Grade Transfer Information
- Working with a representative of the Office of International Studies, a Prior Approval Form must be completed for each student listing the courses they plan to take while overseas.
- Credit for work completed overseas will appear on the Villanova University transcript. A minimum grade of “C” must be earned in order for the credit to transfer.
- In place of a letter grade, the designation “T” (Transfer Credit) will be assigned for all courses in which the student received a “C” or higher.
- Villanova University will not accept an overseas transcript that lists three or fewer courses for a semester’s work.
- A maximum of 60 credits are transferable toward a Villanova diploma. This includes Advanced Placement, Overseas Study, and summer credits earned at another institution.
VSB Policies for Study Abroad
- VSB students may take business classes overseas, however four of the six major courses for each major must be taken at Villanova. Therefore, it may be possible for a single major to take two business classes abroad and a double major to take four business classes abroad. Students with one major and any minor(s) are only permitted to take two business classes abroad. Special approval is given by the Clay Center.
- ECO 3108 equivalents fulfill an A&S requirement and do not count as a business class.
- VSB students may not take any VSB core curriculum classes overseas (i.e. VSB 3006) but can fulfill major, minor, and A&S requirements.
- VSB students planning to fulfill their IB co-major/minor study abroad requirement must participate in a qualified Villanova summer program, a six-week or longer non-Villanova Summer program, or a semester-long program.