Financial Support


Financing an advanced degree is vital to many applicants. Below is information to identify various resources to finance your graduate/professional degree.

GraduateGuide -The financial aid process for graduate school is different from that for undergraduate study. Filling out a standard financial aid application is no longer enough to tap into all the resources available to you. While the FAFSA is still required if you are applying for federal and state loan programs, it is safe to say that no one form will gain you access to the bulk of the money available for graduate study. In fact, for many school-based awards, no application is needed; merit alone determines the recipients.

While most graduate students rely on loans to fund their education, many students are supported by the universities they attend, by federal programs, or by foundations. Since most graduate school money is decentralized, you will have to contact each departmental office, foundation, or association, separately; locate the appropriate contact person; and complete all the paperwork required to procure funding.

Here are some ways to maximize your chances of receiving aid from these various sources:

  1. The early bird gets the worm, so heed deadlines and apply early. In  many instances, when the money runs out, it’s gone.
  2. Apply to schools with strong programs in your area of inter­est. These are the schools most likely to receive research grants.
  3. Write to large corporations. Don’t ask them about scholarships, but learn what schools have received research money from them. Apply to these schools.
  4. Write to the Grants Management Branch of any private or govern­mental agency that interests you, e.g., the National Insti­tute of Mental Health. Again, ask for a current list of funded schools and apply to these schools. Be persistent and aggressive in your request. Sometimes program officers don’t understand why you need this information.
  5. Make friends with faculty members. They are powerful people. Let them know about your interests and your abilities.
  6. Write to the trade associations that represent your field of interest, for example, the American Bar Association or the National Society of Professional Engineers. Also write to organizations serving your ancestry, your nationality, or your religious affiliation. You’ll find addresses in Gale’s Encyclopedia of Associations.
  7. Write to the graduate school’s departmental office as well as the admission and financial-aid offices when you are requesting information. Ask about all university-administered financial aid resources.


Fellowships, Scholarships, and Grants. This is money awarded by the school either on the basis of merit, special talent, or financial need. In general, these awards cover tuition, fees, and supplies, and may provide a stipend for living expenses.

Research and Teaching Assistantships. You will receive a salary, partial tuition, and possibly health insurance in return for service as a research or teaching assistant. You may be given basic research assignments. You may teach freshman composi­tion. You proctor examinations. In additional to the financial benefits, you gain experience in your field which may be applicable to your thesis or coursework.

Internships. Your college or program may offer internships with businesses or government offices. Your professors may also have connections with organizations that need people in your field of study. Contact your department head or individual professors for additional information.

Employment. You might consider going to work for a university. Many schools discount tuition for full-time employees, and while it will take you a few extra years to complete the program, you won’t have a huge debt burden when you’re through.


National Research Council. Students in the Sciences, Social Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering may apply for Postdoctoral and Senior Research Awards through the Research Associateship Programs administered by the National Academies. For more information, contact Research Associateship Programs, The National Academies, 500 Fifth Street, NW, GR 322A, Washington, DC 20001; (202) 334-2760; Fax (202) 334-2759.

Fulbright Scholars. This extremely prestigious and competitive program allows award recipients to live and study abroad. For more information on this and other grants for graduate study in other countries, contact the Institute of International Education, US Student Programs, 809 UN Plaza, New York, NY 10017.

Additional Resources:

FinAid!: The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid

U.S. Department of Education