VITAL FACULTY ASSOCIATE PROGRAM for Tenured Faculty Members
The Faculty Associate Program was designed to provide the opportunity and the time for tenured faculty members to pursue a special interest related to teaching and/or students’ learning. Faculty Associates spend a semester working with VITAL on a project of their choice that must have the potential to enrich teaching and learning at Villanova and thus strengthen Villanova’s academic community. Faculty Associates meet regularly with the director of VITAL for project design and consultation on implementation and assessment.
Current Faculty Associate:
Frank Klassner, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Computing Sciences, is developing a process to support Villanova faculty in using the CAVE (Automatic Virtual Environment) for teaching purposes.
Article about the CAVE
Past Faculty Associates (PDF)
In partnership with VITAL, Faculty Associates can serve several roles:
- work on projects that enhance the teaching and learning resources within their academic programs (undergraduate / graduate level)
- conduct research pertaining to the teaching/learning interests and/or needs of the department, college, or University
- provide leadership for faculty communities of practice, workshop sessions, consultations, and/or faculty mentoring
- share their pedagogical expertise by developing instructional resources and/or programs for Villanova’s academic community
- develop departmental approaches to the assessment of student learning, peer review process, or documentation of effective teaching.
VITAL has two Faculty Associate positions available: one in each semester respectively. As the ultimate goal of the program is to enrich the educational process at Villanova, Faculty Associates receive a reduction of one course in their teaching loads during the semester of their term. Project-related expenses up to $1,000 may be requested. Tenured faculty members receive letters of invitation to apply to the Faculty Associate program late November to early December each year. Please contact the Director to discuss your project ideas.