Submit ticket here.
Access to computer systems and networks owned or operated by Villanova University imposes certain responsibilities and obligations and is granted subject to university policies, and local, state, and federal laws. Acceptable use always is ethical, reflects academic honesty, and shows restraint in the consumption of shared resources. It demonstrates respect for intellectual property, ownership of data, system security mechanisms, and individuals' rights to privacy and freedom from intimidation and harassment.
1. Sharing of passwords, PINs, tokens or other authentication information are strictly prohibited. Each individual is responsible for his/her account(s), including the safeguarding of access to the account(s).
2. The use of Villanova resources to access, further or otherwise participate in activity which is inconsistent with the mission of the university is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to the following: illegal activity, sexually explicit material, hate speech, violent behavior & bullying, spam, hacking, etc. An exemption is granted for individuals engaged in normal pedagogic related activities or research, provided that it is consistent with Villanova’s mission.
3. The use of Villanova information systems for commercial gain is prohibited.
4. Anti-virus and anti-malware software must be installed on your computer, kept up to date and currently enabled. If your software is not up to date or disabled it may lead to an infection which may result in your network access being disabled.
5. Students are responsible for keeping their computer updated with security patches/fixes from the appropriate software update services (Windows Update on windows computers, Software Update on Apple computers). This includes updating applications, such as MS Office, Adobe, iTunes, or Firefox. If your computer is not up to date it may lead to virus infection which may result in your network access being disabled.
6. Students are fully responsible for their computer, including its hardware, software, and any network traffic transmitted by it, regardless if this traffic was authorized by you or not. Please contact UNIT’s Technology Support Services group if you have any questions about whether or not certain software/hardware might conflict with this acceptable use policy.
7. The use of personal routers (wireless or wired) and/or DHCP servers is strictly prohibited.
8. Using the university network to provide any service that is visible off campus is prohibited. This applies to services such as, but not limited to, HTTP (Web), FTP, IRC, peer-to-peer (p2p) multimedia sharing, game servers and email.
9. Configuring your computer to provide Internet or Villanova University network system access to anyone who is not an authorized Villanova University faculty, staff member or student is prohibited.
10. Connecting standard mobile devices used for the pursuit of academic work to Villanova wireless network is permitted. Connecting any other device or system to the university's data networks without the prior review and approval of UNIT is prohibited.
11. Some examples of policy violations:
a. Accessing another user’s personal private data
b. Consuming a disproportionate amount of bandwidth
c. Attempting or coordinating a denial-of-service attack
d. Probing and/or exploiting security holes in other systems either on or off campus
e. Using unauthorized IP addresses
f. Using a network protocol analyzer or similar mechanism without prior authorization
g. Degrading or restricting network access for others, either on or off campus
h. Connecting to University systems that one has not been expressly permitted to access
i. Downloading, sharing or using copyrighted material including music, movies, software or text books
j. Participating in activities which are not consistent with the Mission of the university
In addition, your network access may be disabled if Villanova University receives complaints about or otherwise detects inappropriate behavior.
This policy applies to all students of Villanova University.
Your work may involve the use of computers, software, telephone, fax, printing or other computing or communications resources. Villanova employees are permitted to use these resources for limited personal use provided they have the permission of their supervisor, the personal use does not affect their job performance or responsibilities, and that such use does not conflict with this or any other university policies.
The latest version of this document can be found on the Villanova University website at: http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/unit/about/policies/7020.html
Complete listings of all University IT Policies can be found here: http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/unit/about/policies.html
The following guidelines will be used when users are accused of violating this policy:
· 1st offense: The student will be contacted by UNIT Technical Support Services to notify the student about the violation. The student’s Internet/network access may be disabled until issue is resolved, depending on the nature of the violation.
· 2nd offense: The student’s Internet/network access will be disabled until the issue is resolved. The student will be referred to the Dean of Students.
· 3rd offense: The student’s Internet/network access will be disabled pending disciplinary action as determined by the Dean of Students and Judicial Affairs Office.
Version 1.0 Approved November 11, 2015 by VP&CIO Stephen Fugale and the University Council on Information Technology (UCIT).
Chat Support Hours:
Mondays - Thursdays: 9AM - 7PM
Fridays: 9AM - 4PM
Submit ticket here.
If you are currently experiencing network connection issues, please fill out and submit this form so that we can help troubleshoot this issue.
Apply for a job working in UNIT
Get connected to the most current and accurate research in the IT industry