1. Sharing of passwords, PINs, tokens or other authentication information is strictly prohibited. Each individual is responsible for his/her account(s), including the safeguarding of access to the account(s).
2. The use of Villanova resources to access, further or otherwise participate in activity which is inconsistent with the mission of the university is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to the following: illegal activity, sexually explicit material, hate speech, violent behavior & bullying, spam, hacking, etc. An exemption is granted for individuals engaged in normal pedagogic related activities or research, provided that it is consistent with Villanova’s mission.
3. In addition to standard electronic resources, members of the University community are expected to make appropriate use of the University Telephone/Voicemail system. Examples of inappropriate actions:
a. Unauthorized entry into a voice mailbox
b. Unauthorized use of another individual's identification and authorization code
c. Use of the University telephone system to send abusive, harassing, or obscene messages
4. The use of Villanova resources to conduct business for personal financial gain is prohibited.
5. Anti-virus and anti-malware software must be installed on your computer, kept up to date and currently enabled. If your software is not up to date or disabled it may lead to an infection which may result in your network access being disabled.
6. Although UNIT deploys Windows patches for University issued devices, employees are responsible for keeping their computer updated with all other security patches/fixes from the appropriate software update services. This includes updating applications, such as MS Office, Adobe, iTunes, Firefox, Chrome, etc. This also includes operating system patches for non-university devices. If your computer is not up to date, it could lead to malware infection which may result in your network access being disabled.
7. Employees are responsible for their computer, including its hardware, software, and any network traffic transmitted by it. Please contact UNIT’s Technology Support Services group if you have any questions about whether or not certain software/hardware might conflict with this acceptable use policy.
8. The use of personal routers (wireless or wired) and/or DHCP servers outside of a contained lab environment is strictly prohibited. UNIT will assist you if you require additional connectivity.
9. Using the university network to provide any service that is visible off campus without prior UNIT approval, is prohibited. This applies to services such as, but not limited to, HTTP (Web), SSH, FTP, IRC, email, private VPN, etc.
10. Configuring your computer to provide Internet or Villanova University network system access to anyone who is not a Villanova University faculty, staff member or student is prohibited.
11. Connecting any device or system to the university's data networks without the prior review and approval of UNIT is prohibited.
Back to Top
Your work may involve the use of computers, software, telephone, fax, printing or other computing or communications resources. Villanova employees are permitted to use these resources for limited personal use provided they have the permission of their supervisor, the personal use does not affect their job performance or responsibilities, and that such use does not conflict with this or any other university policies.
The latest version of this document can be found on the Villanova University website at: http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/unit/about/policies/7010.html
Complete listings of all University IT Policies can be found here: http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/unit/about/policies.html
Back to Top