The Gateway website allows authorized Villanova users access to University resources from off-campus. It accomplishes this through the NetConnect application which can be run from the website. When a user launches NetConnect from their browser it creates a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection between their PC and the University. This connection allows the user to access Villanova systems as if they were on campus.
Currently Internet Explorer 6.0 and later are the supported browsers.
The Gateway software works on Windows XP and higher as well as Macintosh OS X 10.4 and higher.
More detailed instructions can be found at Secure Gateway Instructions page. But the general steps are:
- Connect to the Internet using your ISP
- Log into https://gateway.villanova.edu using your LDAP username and password
- Launch NetConnect from the website
- Once connected using NetConnect an icon will appear in your systray (lower right of screen by clock)
- Connect to any Villanova services from your PC just as you would on campus
- To disconnect, simply click (or right click) the NetConnect icon in the systray and select End Session
Depending on your department, your gateway start page may have custom bookmarks to websites or shared folders. These are simply links to those resources and allow you to access them without running NetConnect.
From the Gateway Start page, UNC path to the share in the Browse bar. (\\server\share\(subfolder-optional)). Select the folder you wish to Bookmark and click the "Bookmark Current Folder" icon.