Villanova University demonstrates its intention to ensure responsible stewardship of the environmental resources under its influence through the Villanova Green Purchasing Policy. Through the purchase of green products, Villanova sets a positive example and plays a significant role in the advancement of environmental stewardship on campus and in the local and greater community.
Green purchasing is the practice of purchasing products and services that are less harmful to the environment—land, air, and water—and all species that depend upon the environment for survival (including humans). Greener products are those that are made with less harmful materials or that are produced with minimal impact to the environment.
Goal and Procedures
Villanova will strive to balance environmental and fiscal responsibilities in making green purchasing decisions. We will purchase products with the highest percentage recycled content available provided that the products meet acceptable use and performance standards.
In addition, Villanova will strive to purchase materials that are:
- Durable, as opposed to single use or disposable items
- Non-toxic or minimally toxic, preferably biodegradable
- Highly energy-efficient
- Recyclable, but if not recyclable, may be disposed of safely
- Made from raw materials that have been obtained in an environmentally sound, sustainable manner
- Manufactured in an environmentally sound manner
- Causing minimal or no environmental damage during normal use or maintenance
- Shipped with minimal packaging (consistent with care of the product), preferably made of recycled and or recyclable materials
Products that meet the above criteria will appear on the university’s procurement list and will be given preferred purchase status.
When appropriate, Villanova will include a clause in its bidding specifications that reads:
Villanova University is committed to buying products with recycled content or environmentally sustainable alternatives. Please offer any alternatives that you feel are available for this product and supply all relevant specific information about the product.
Any existing limitation within Villanova’s policy and procedures prohibiting or restricting the purchase or use of recycled product shall be amended to encourage the purchase and use of recycled products to conform to this policy.