The Center for Multicultural Affairs offers comprehensive integrated services to all in-coming students. Our goal is to ease your transition into the Villanova University community. In addition to academic tutoring, counseling and course advising, we can also help you select and get involved with a wide array of engaging extra curricular activities. A.C.T.I.V.E. stands for Advising, Counseling, Tutoring, Information to enhance the Villanova Experience. The A.C.T.I.V.E. Retention Program is in place to aid and ease the transition of first and second year students into the Villanova Community.
- First year students.are inundated with opportunities and issues on and off campus, and when faced alone, many students begin to feel overwhelmed and under prepared, which in turn affects their personal and academic life.
- Second year students face an even greater problem. It is usually assumed that second year students have adapted to the University. Unfortunately, the bounty of resources once reserved for them is now redirected to the next wave of first year students.
Adding to both first and second year students list of concerns sometimes involve cultural differences, social, political, spiritual, and economic hardships. The Center for Multicultural Affairs combats these concerns through the services they offer.
While all of our programs are open to all students, we actively seek students for our programs who identify with a “cultural” population or NOS (Not otherwise stated). Students accepted into the program gain access to all of the services mentioned above. The requirements are the student must:
- attend a minimum of one (1) professional/personal development workshop
- attend one (1) social outing per semester
- meet with their assigned Graduate Assistant or Advisor biweekly to discuss academic progress, personal-social, and career-related issues; ascertain the services needed to achieve these goals; review progress made
- meet with an assigned tutor or tutors to improve academic performance, if recommended by faculty/staff
- follow a personalized academic plan if GPA falls below 2.5.